Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Family night - A success, I guess?

Due the the constant undercurrent of tension in our home (exact origin unknown, but I'm so tired of it), I instiuted Family Night. Tonight was our first. I post a menu on the fridge every week and for tonight, I wrote Family Night at home - pizza and a really expensive Monopoly game. 5:00 - 7:00, Attendance required."

The kids seemed to look forward to it. They've mentioned it off and on through the week. It was nice. Everyone was here when they were supposed to be. We had yummy Domino's pizza (much cheaper if you pick it up than having it delivered) and real Dr. Pepper (not the diet version we generally drink). Everyone got a nice little sugar-buzz off the stuff. Anyway, a good time was had by all. The game was really fun. We played the new Monolpoly game that has debit cards. Beth won with almost $30 million plus her properties. That was amazing since she paid the least attention. She's rather impulsive and just bought everything. It was an interesting strategy but it worked for her. We did have several conversations about debit vs. credit as we played. The game lasted until almost 8:00 when I had to end it to get Deb bathed and into bed.

All in all, it was a good evening. Alli couldn't stay off her cell (that will be required next time) but she did hold off the two hours. I'm glad we did it. I didn't really have the extra cash (and it will be done with less cash outlay next time) but I think the fun was worth it this time.

Now, it's almost 9:00 and everyone has drifted off. Alli took Beth to get her hair cut at the mall. I gave them permission to go as long as Elvis went along. I got Deb bathed and into bed. (She had an early bedtime tonight due to some recent behaviors.) Cori has started a load of laundry and is in her room (probably cutting but I'm not in the mood to confront her tonight).

When did my life get this complicated? What was my life like before I got so tangled up with troubled kids? What is life like with "normal" kids? Probably too boring for me. Sometimes, I'd like to try boring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a fun evening. I'm glad it went well. Congratulations to you for recognizing that you and the kids needed fun. I hope you find ways to refresh yourself when you need it.