Tuesday, October 30, 2007

For the first time in years...


Honestly, I can't remember the last time we were home for Halloween. This year, we are staying home! I'm kind of excited. Since Deb left last week, we don't really have anyone of trick-or-treating age. Elvis is almost 5 but it's such a hassle to load and unload his wheelchair or try to lug his long, stiff body in and out of the van and up and down people's front steps. We've opted to stay home and let the fun come to us.
Beth and I just spent the last hour or so creating this basket of treats. She was so excited about the Tootsie Pop ghosts. I remember making them with my mom when I was little. It was fun (and a little surreal) to be making them with a 17 year old. Of course, technically, this is our first Halloween as legal mother and daughter, so maybe it was a little symbolic. I guess we created a memory we would have missed otherwise.
Beth and Alli are out now, looking for more ribbon. We have another whole bag of Tootsie Pops and lots of tissues but our ribbon supply ran short. I predict we will have ghosts running out our ears before the evening is over. Beth wants to take some to her friends at school. I'd like to take one for each of my students. Alli is acting all cool and grown up about them but I totally expect her to pull one out of her backpack in the middle of a community college class tomorrow (and I know she will because I plan to plant one there early tomorrow morning). Cori (age 15) is running around now with a set of glow-in-the-dark vampire teeth in her mouth. Perhaps Halloween brings out the kid in everyone...especially kids who missed out on the fun stuff in their biological homes.
If you know me in real life and live nearby, come on by Halloween night. We'll all be home - eating chili and dirt pudding and passing out goodies to all who dare to come near.

No comments: