Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Bummer

Let me start out by saying I never see movies in the theater. I have waited over a month to see the new movie, "Martian Child." It's so rare to find a movie that relates a little to my life but this one looked to be good. I wanted to see it opening day but the kids had things going on and I wanted us all to see it. So, I proclaimed that our activity for family night tonight.

To keep costs down, we ate dinner at home. Being the practical (and poor) parent that I am, we stopped at a drugstore to get cheap candy to smuggle in the theater. (Sorry, I'm paying over $30 to get my family in 6 in the movie. I can't dip into my retirement fund to buy a seriously overpriced pack of M&Ms. I make it okay in my head by saying I'll smuggle the candy in but buy the drinks there.) At the drugstore, I ran into another teacher from my school and invite her to join us.

We got there, bought tickets and drinks, and got into the theater just as the previews started. When we walked into the theater, there was only one other person in the room. It was dark but I could see it was a man and he was there by himself. Wouldn't you know he was sitting in the seat beside the only wheelchair space in the whole place. I briefly consider finding the manager and asking him to boot the guy from the wheelchair slot. However, the rest of the place is empty so we stick Elvis and his wheelchair in an aisle about half way down, thinking if the usher asks us to move, I'll explain the dilemma and let him move the odd man in the back. As the movie starts, I realize the guy has moved from his seat and is sitting behind Frannie. All of a sudden, it hits me that this is the sleaze she's been talking to on my space! First, he's an adult! Second, she has obviously told him where we were going and what time we'd be there! (I'm obsessive about my kids and my space. I even monitor Alli's account and she's 20. However, Frannie is just here for a few days and I didn't have the time to keep up with hers.) Obviously, she's off the computer. I think she's just here for one more night after tonight anyway.

Anyway, I ruined my time at the movie. I was so careful to keep my eye on her that I couldn't actually watch the movie. Elvis also got bored and ended up in my lap. No movie watching can occur when you are trying to quietly entertain a 5 year old with special needs. Dang it. I just wanted to watch one movie every couple of years. Am I asking too much?

By the way, what I saw of the movie was really good. I plan to see it again (alone, maybe?) and see the whole thing.

1 comment:

Tudu said...

You could just kick a kid, grown woman in my case, for endangering the family by inviting internet freaks over.