Saturday, December 22, 2007

I showered today

I'm sure you are glad to know that. Ordinarily, that is not news because I shower almost every day. However, it is not unheard of for me to not shower sometimes on a weekend day/holiday when I'm just staying home anyway. However, yesterday, not only did I not shower but I left the house. And I didn't just leave once. I actually appeared in public three different times without a shower.

The first was my trip to Wal-Mart. If I'd taken the time to shower, it would have been packed before I got here. Luckily, I got through the whole trip without running into a single person I knew.

The second public appearance was not one that I planned to do without a shower. As I was leaving Wal-Mart, I was thinking about what else we had planned for the day. When I realized it was the 21st, I knew I was in trouble. Cori had an ultrasound scheduled, as a follow up of an ongoing medical issue. It had been scheduled for about a month. I knew she had it. I'd just lost track of the days since we've been out of school. By the time I remembered it, I really thought we'd already missed it. However, I dug frantically through the crap I keep piled on top of my sunvisor. (Not the best filing system for important papers, but it works for me.) I found the appointment card at exactly 9:02 AM. The appointment was for 10:00 but it said to be there by 9:45. I drove home as fast as I could and dragged Cori out of bed and pushed her toward the bathroom telling her to take the fastest shower she'd ever taken. She speed-showered and started drinking the required 32 ounces of water. We checked in at the clinic at 9:43. I sat in the waiting room and tried my best to keep my distance from the others.

We were back home by 10:40. I knew the only other thing we had planned for yesterday was to see the movie but that wasn't until 1:50. I had plenty of time. I goofed off online, organized some Christmas presents, and went to my bedroom to sort some mail. The next thing I knew, Alli waking me at 1:30 asking if we didn't need to be leaving for the movie. Yes, we did. So, for the third time in one day, I appeared in public without having showered. We sat on the back row. I sat by the wall and kept an empty seat between me and the rest of civilization. I felt that was the least I could do.

But today, I'm showered and dressed in clean clothes. We're headed out for the family Christmas event. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

No comments: