Friday, March 7, 2008

A teacher's favorite words:

Straight from weather.com: Winter Storm Warning - SNOW WILL SPREAD ACROSS THE MID STATE FROM WEST TO EAST THIS EVENING. THE SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE LATE NIGHT HOURS AND INTO SATURDAY MORNING. BY NOON SATURDAY...SNOWFALL TOTAL WILL RANGE FROM 1 TO 4 INCHES

Yes, I realize it's the weekend and it will all be melted in plenty of time to return to school on Monday, but it's SNOW. Real snow. The most snow we've had this year is less than a half an inch. We haven't had more than an inch anytime in recent history. I need this snow. I need to know that it can, in fact, still snow here. I was beginning to think the Heat Miser had taken over and we were doomed to warm, wet winters.

I also love the feeling of being "snowed in." You people from the north, don't laugh, but it only takes a couple of inches to pretty much keep us housebound. Obviously it doesn't snow much here. We don't have equipment to clear the roads. We probably have less than 5 snow plow/salt truck combos for the whole county. People here don't know how to drive in the snow, either. You're really much safer staying in for the day until it melts. It never lasts long but it's so fun when it comes!

So, go about the rest of your weekend. I'll be in my chaotic house pretending all is well. I'm declaring Saturday a SNOW DAY! I'll drink hot chocolate by the gallon, maybe work a jigsaw puzzle, and read the second Harry Potter book until I'm done. There will be plenty of time later for reality to hit me - wallpaper paste to be removed, border to be stripped, sheet rock dust to be vacuumed, and a long, hard talk to have with Alli. But all that will wait until I've been refreshed and renewed by my snow day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Any day with a Harry Potter book is a good day. They are amazing! Why didn't they write books like that when we were kids?
Steph