Sunday, April 13, 2008

$15 an hour

My shrub/chainsaw issues were solved. Last night, as I struggled with the little electric chainsaw and the ginormous shrubs in the back and side yards, I got to the point that I just wasn't sure I could it. The trunks were huge and the tiny chainsaw didn't much like them. I continued working along until dark but was praying for inspiration and ability to get the job done.

My prayers were answered by a knock at the door this afternoon. It was the neighbor of the alcoholic carpenter. He landscapes and mows yards for a living. He was asking if I would hire him to mow my yard this summer. He's willing to do it for the same price as the guy I usually hire and I'm willing to bet he does a better job. (Honestly, he could do much worse than Ed. Last year I really thought Stevie Wonder could have done a better job with the trimming.) So, I hired the new guy.

While he was here, I asked if he had an hourly rate for other yard tasks. He said $15 an hour. I took him out to the back introduced him to the enemy. He said he'd have them down and to the street and trim my other shrubs in about 3 hours. As he left to go get his fully-grown chainsaw, I thanked God for sending help. Sometimes half the battle is knowing when to quit. $45 is a small price to pay for sanity and the continued presence of all my limbs and fingers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not Kirk King, is it?

Jane said...

Yes, it is. Am I going to regret that decision?

Anonymous said...

He's okay. Just don't ride with him! Details f2f.

Kimmah said...

How do I know the KK story and you don't? I'm not even a native.

Glad you hired the work out...that's why we slave away pounding knowledge into the head of unwilling brats...so we can pay people to sweat for us as needed.

Jane said...

I know the KK story. I was in high school when it happened. I have to assume he's paid his debt to society for that one a long time ago.

I was more concerned about his life now. I know he hangs out with the alcoholic carpenter, so that's strike one.