Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day = Frost Bite

Wouldn't you know it? The first time in forever that our pool is "swimmable" by Mother's Day and we invite family and friends over to grill and swim. The high temp was about 65 degrees today with winds of 25+ miles per hour. It was not a good day for swimming. A friend's two little boys did brave the water for about 20 minutes but that was it. They were freezing and got out. No one else even went near the pool.

We had a good day. Over to celebrate were my mom, my aunt, Boy Wonder's mom and brother, and a friend and her family (one husband, five kids). We still grilled and most of us ate outside. Thankfully, my house forms an L shape around the patio, protecting us from the coldest of the winds. We had hamburgers, hot dogs, bratwurst, baked beans, potato salad, orange nut salad, chips, and other things I can't remember right now.

The kids went to Wal-Mart yesterday and got me a gift. They got me one of those cards that sings, several pairs of earrings, and a key chain with the Serenity Prayer on it. (I wonder if that last item was supposed to tell me something?)

You want to know my favorite thing today? Alli walked up to me as they were leaving to take BW's brother home and hugged me and thanked me for being her mom. Proof that it really is the little things that matter.

1 comment:

Kimmah said...

glad it went well!! we had pizza at mellow mushroom and then shopped at old navy and target. i really do not like the new style of ON flip flops. i hate the bumpy bottom--it's uncomfortable and looks like the cheapo shower shoes i bought at walgreens.