Monday, June 9, 2008

Today is my last day as the mother of a "child"

Beth turns 18 tomorrow, God help us all, and will legally be considered an adult. All that means to her is she can get a tattoo. Do you know how proud that makes me? I'm filled with dread as I wait to see what and where the tattoo lands. Her BFF has one on the top of her foot. I thought about offering to pay half the cost if the tattoo is placed where it can't be seen when she is wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Honestly, if she comes home with a marijuana leaf or Playboy bunny on her foot or arm, I will just die.

I have nothing against tattoos. I don't have any (or want any) but that's my choice. My choice is not right for others. My concern in this is that she only wants the tattoo because she can get one. Her friend talked her into it. If she'd been saying for months, "Man, I want a tattoo," it would be different. This just popped into her head and she's going for it...because she can.

Her sister has two tattoos. Her best friend has one. Her friend's brother has a huge one. She's following the crowd and I understand peer pressure. I just wish she was in a phase of her life to do this logically. Choose a tattoo that won't be embarrassing later and place it discreetly on her body. Sadly, she won't listen to anyone right now. She's so manic right now, she's likely to come home with something tattooed on her face. Of course, she has to live with the consequences, not me. She says she has to make her own mistakes and learn from them, so I'll sit back and wait to see it. I'm to the point that I just want it to be over with so I can stop dreading it.

I think it's going to be harder to parent adults than kids...

6 comments:

Lisa said...

First of all, no one NEEDS to make their own mistakes, they can learn from others' mistakes. I hate that line of thinking, as if a mistake-free life would be such a shameful thing (well, impossible maybe, but don't we all strive to make as few mistakes as possible?). Second, my son (he's 19) just told me that those tattoos that girls get on their lower back (just above the butt-crack) that play peek-a-boo with their pantline are called "tramp stamps" lol.

I've accepted the fact that even my healthy bio-kids are going to do dumb things after they turn 18 and I can't do a darn thing about it. It's just such an emotionally draining time to be a parent. When all of mine were little, everyone commented (ad nauseum) about how full my hands were, how busy I must be, how hard parenting so many littles at once was - piece of cake compared to now. Here's hoping a tattoo is the worst thing she does.

Kimmah said...

the good thing is she won't stand out in a crowd with an ugly ass tatoo because they are everywhere now.

you might point out to her that in MANY jobs tatoos have to be covered which can mean never wearing a skirt or short sleeves or sleeveless or sandals, etc. The school system and the hospital are just two of many.

Jane said...

LOL! We call them Tramp Stamps, too. That being said, Alli has one of a palm tree. That was her first of two tattoos.

Beth is the one that keeps saying she's going to have to make her own mistakes. No matter how I try to point things out, that's her only answer. *sigh/eye roll combo*

momma-o-minnie said...

My son keeps telling me that I shouldn't tell him things (like how to avoid mistakes) because the only way he learns is by doing - so he has to make the mistakes to learn....

Juicebox.mom said...

I'm dreading a trip this summer to visit my step-daughter for one reason...i know she's gotten quite a few tattoos (don't know where or what) and my 12 year old adopted daughter really really idolizes her. I'm praying we aren't fighting about tattoos for the next 6 years. Hang in there!

Jane said...

The next six years aren't your problem...it's that 18th birthday when the fun will begin!