Friday, July 11, 2008

Hoping to leave in 12 hours

My busy day is almost done. We had Chinese take out for lunch. I met the guy we are renting the condo from and paid him and got the keys. I made it to the bank and closed on my loan. Beth cleaned the junk/trash/mystery items from the van. I got more contacts. (YAY, since I got a 6-week supply in October and just now need to replace the last set.) I deposited my summer pay check that came in the mail today. We made a last minute trip to Wal-Mart for a few necessary supplies. Alli offered to put the car top carrier on and I, of course, said "sure!" (She and Boy Wonder are doing it now.) Beth's got some last minute socializing to do tonight but has an early curfew. The last load of laundry was just put in the dryer. All that's left is the rest of the packing and loading the van. We just might make it!

I'm hoping for a week of peace. I've got some books to take with me - Three Little Words, Don't You Dare Read This, Mrs. Dunphrey, and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I bought the first two from amazon.com and borrowed the third from my 9 year old nephew. What can I say? My literary tastes are eclectic, to put it nicely.

I'm really sad at the thought of going without Alli but there's nothing I can do about that. She made that call in March. I know that. It still hurts to think about being at the beach without her.

Elvis is going with us. I'd go nuts worrying about him if he didn't. I'll have more peace by having him with me. My mom will help with his care (and Beth, her BFF, and my nephews will help with some of the lifting and hauling). Due to space issues in the van, we are leaving his wheelchair behind. We are taking a special-needs booster-type seat for him to use in the condo. I think we'll be fine.

Beth's pushing some limits again. Perfect timing since school starts back in about two weeks. (Last year, one of her teachers called me about her behavior on the very first day of school. She'd told him he "had his shit twisted," whatever that means. He didn't much like that. I can understand why.) Actually, by the end of the first full week of school, I think I'd heard from 3 of her 4 teachers. I was hoping for a smoother transition this year but, alas, I fear a repeat of last year. She's pierced her nose. (Definite dress code violation) She's smoking (definite violation for living at my house) but, of course, denying it. She forgets that I'm allergic to tobacco smoke and can identify it if she just walked through a cloud of it. When we've been in public, I have to give her the benefit of the doubt. However, when she's home with just us and suddenly smells like it, I feel secure in accusing her of smoking. I actually don't say much to her. I just let her know I smell it on her. I'll save the lecture for later when she asks for money. If you have money to waste on cigarettes, you don't need money from me. Grrrr, though. It's so aggravating to watch them do self-destructive things. She's 18 and can legally buy and smoke tobacco products. However, she doesn't have the legal right to make me sick.

1 comment:

Emma said...

Have a GREAT time at the condo! I'll be sending relaxing thoughts your way.