Tuesday, October 28, 2008

'cause I'm bad like that

Boy Wonder is a HUGE Colts fan. I don't know why. I never asked why. I just know he LOVES the Colts and HATES the TN Titans. The last part of that fact? That makes me a Titans fan automatically. Now, I hate football. It's boring and I don't really understand the game. Don't actually care to understand the game. I just keep up with scores enough to know that the Titans are having a tremendous year. And that last night, the Colts and Titans were playing each other. And guess what? THE TITANS WON!!!!!!!!!!!! And the only reason I care? Because that means the Colts lost. Like I said....I'm back like that.

As I'm up pondering that thought before 2:00 AM, it makes me realize how some of my foster kids have felt over the years. It's not as simple but it's the same premise. They are grossly unhappy with their lives and the lack of control they have over their own lives. Instead of being oppositional on some minor point, like preferring one sports team over another, they end being oppositional over major things in life, like following the basic rules of society or being able to live peacefully in a family setting. I'm an adult and I'm able to understand the basics of my new found fondness for a particular sports team. (Boy Wonder and I, at best, have a very contentious relationship. We live in the same space in relative peace but often find ourselves at odds. Evidently I go out of my way to be at odds with him - at least on this one topic.) And, this rivalry doesn't interfere with life to a major degree. However, with the stream of kids I've had over the last 10 years, their decision to be oppositional to the fine points of family life DID have a huge impact of the quality of their lives (and, of course, the lives of those who actually tried to live with them).

That brief moment of introspection is now over. I need to go address the real reason I'm up long before the crack of dawn...Elvis is wide awake. I'm hoping I'll feed him some yogurt and give him a little Pediasure and *hopefully* he'll go back to sleep. I just couldn't resist checking the Colts/Titans score while I was up. (I'd gone to bed before it was over and at that point, the Colts were winning.) GO TITANS!

No comments: