Friday, October 31, 2008

The H-word

Ahh...Halloween in Kindergarten. Such a delight - NOT! I'm lucky to have survived the day. It's always wild but usually fun. Not this year. We have a "non-celebrator" in the room. That meant we had zero fun. We don't usually do anything scary but we read the fun books and dance to the Batty Bat and make a cool book about what everyone is going to be on Halloween. However this year there was none of that. I don't think I even said the word "Halloween" out loud in the classroom this year. Kind of bums me out. It's not that big of a deal. Our school outlawed Halloween parties. It still would have been fun to do the other stuff, though.

And, the bumming by the holiday continued on the home front as well. I bought Elvis' costume. I practiced trick-or-treating with him (using his communication board). I did all the "work" involved in the holiday. Alli and Boy Wonder did the fun part. They took him "trunk-or-treating" at a local church. (BW's family went along. I wasn't invited, even though they took my van.) I did request they take him by my mom's house. I guess I wasn't specific enough, as they technically took him by my mom's house. They just called her and had her come see him in the driveway. They made my 71 year old mother go down a flight of outdoor stairs at night rather than walking their 20 year old butts up to her. I can't believe Mom delivered their treats (She had a treat for them, as well as for Elvis.) I'd have told them if they didn't care enough to get out of the vehicle to just do without.

So, everyone was out celebrating and I was home...alone...watching idiots on the Food Network build a 19 foot replica of Mickey Mouse out of popcorn. Happy Halloween, All!

6 comments:

Mongoose said...

Ew. I cannot believe how inconsiderate these guys are to you. :(

Juicebox.mom said...

Wow, they really suck! I hope you at least ate yourself some fun-size candy bars like I did!

momma-o-minnie said...

This year my 18 and 20 year olds ate the 5 bags of candy before Halloween and then whined because we didn't have any for them last night... I went out and bought candy on sale today FOR MYSELF... too bad they ate it all.
The littles went to a church event and got oodles, but the bigs were out of luck... I think something happens around 14 (spinal chord seperates from brain) and selfishness kicks in big-time...

Anonymous said...

You guys shouldn't be so quick to judge those kids. We only read one side of the story. EVERY BODY at some point in their life gets a touch of selfishness.

nolaffing said...

How about a "Happy Harvest" or Fall celebration party instead of a Halloween party at the school? Changing of the seasons is something everyone can celebrate no matter what their spiritual beliefs :-)

Jane said...

In the past we've done Harvest parties or fall parties or even farm parties. However, the kids still know it's Halloween and we end up with Halloween foods and treats. Since our school system only allows 3 parties a year, our school nixed Halloween all together and we will party at Christmas, Valentine's Day, and the end of the school year. Still not sure what I'll do with my "non-celebrator" those days but I'll figure it out.