Monday, October 13, 2008

Weekend surprise

As I was leaving the ill-fated cemetery tour on Saturday, I got a text from Beth asking where I was. She'd taken off with friends when she was angry at ME because she was smoking last Wednesday and I hadn't seen her since. (She'd been home during that time span but I hadn't been home at the same time.) Anyway, she was home about 2:30 Saturday afternoon and is still here this morning. I don't know if her friends are all busy (I do know Spider-Pig is working a lot) or if she felt guilty for being so ugly to me. For whatever reason, she's been around for a couple of days.

It's been pleasant. We watched a movie on TV together Saturday night (The Five People You Will Meet in Heaven) and it's a loooong movie. I'd put her favorite beef stew in the crockpot Saturday morning, never dreaming she'd be home to have some but she was. She slept most of Sunday morning but was still around the house and pleasant all day. She wanted to go to Wal-Mart yesterday afternoon to get hair dye. (She's still blond from the summer and wanted to have light brown hair for fall.) We accomplished that task and I let her choose the fast food of her choice for dinner last night. We picked up Long John Silver's really greasy fish on the way home and ate it while we watched America's Funniest Home Videos. Afterwards, she dyed her hair back to "light natural brown" (according to the box).

So, it's been a nice couple of days. She's still smoking but she's staying outside a little longer to air out a bit and is staying away from Elvis when she still smells like smoke. I'm going to miss her helping with Elvis but I'll live. It was nice to see her this weekend. I'm still ready to get back to school and have a more predictable routine.

Alli and Boy Wonder were gone all weekend. They are both unemployed but went to Indianapolis to a Colts game. It had to have been expensive trip. They rented a car. Those tickets aren't cheap. Gas is down some but still expensive. It wasn't exactly the responsible thing to do, eh? They had a good time, though. And I enjoyed the peace around the house.

3 comments:

junglemama said...

I just found your blog. I think I am going to enjoy reading through it as I get the chance.

Cricky said...

I too just found your blog last week.

As an un-wealthy married woman I can say that sometimes you do have to throw caution to the wind and go on those little excursions.

Tell Beth to wear a jacket, sweater, or long sleeved over shirt when she goes to smoke. Before she comes back in the house take that shirt off so that the majority of the smell stays outside.
That's a trick they taught us in parenting a preemie class.

Anonymous said...

Kudos to Cricky! I'm just getting started in health carew and that is something I can teach family members.