Sunday, November 16, 2008

Been a little quiet around here, huh?

All is well. Well, all is normal, so I guess that's good. School, at this point, is just all about surviving until Thanksgiving break. I can't wait! Not that I'm doing anything over the break. I', just ready for the break.

In Alli news, she's been subbing at my school quite a bit and has a shot at a long-term interim position. It's not a lock yet, but things are looking good. She'll be filling in for an assistant in a pre-k special ed class. The regular assistant's wife is having a baby and he plans to take a few weeks off. Works for Alli. She functions much better when she's out in the real world. Since she's been doing nothing work-wise, she's basically been doing nothing house-wise either. However, on the days she's subbed she's volunteering to help with supper and help with shopping. I've thought all along depression has been a huge problem for her. This reinforces that belief.

Boy Wonder had a job interview that seemed to go well last week. He's supposed to find out this week if he got it. He'll be delivering milk for a dairy business. Oh, I hope he gets it! The pay is $700 a week with decent benefits. I know they hear that amount and think they'll be rich with it. I fear they'll have to learn some financial lessons the hard way. (To tell the truth, I have, too.)

Hell may have frozen over because Beth read a book! Seriously! She's been with me over 4 years and this is the first book she's read in all that time...possibly in her whole life. She's just not a reader. I've tried and nagged but she just wouldn't do it. It took the Twilight series to get her reading. In a sentence I never thought I'd say: "Hooray for vampires!!" If she wants to read the whole set, you'd better believe I'll buy them for her. (Truthfully, I'd kind of like to read them, too. I'm sooo not a vampire person but people keep telling me I'd like them.)

I read a book this weekend, too, and it was GREAT. Really. Read. This. Book. It's called The Shack. Not to give away the plot, but a man spends the weekend in a shack with God. I've read many, many books in my lifetime but this is one of just a handful that has affected the way I see the world. I borrowed it from a friend but plan to buy my own copy. I want to read it again but other people are waiting to borrow the copy I borrowed.

Elvis is doing well, too. He still loves school. His speech language pathologist is really working on getting a better communication system for him. She stopped me Friday afternoon to tell me she's gotten the laptop for him. (It will belong to the school system but we'll be allowed to bring it home to use as long as we agree to replace it if we break it.) I'm all for anything that will make his life a little easier. He's so blessed to have this therapist on his side.

1 comment:

Juicebox.mom said...

My adopted daughter hates reading too, but asked me to buy Twilight for her last weekend. Of course i immediately dropped everything (literally) and RAN to Borders. It's a little intimidating sizewize, she's younger than Beth, but she's trying to read it. I'm really excited. The only other books she's read thru were books that were way below her grade level. And she's certainly never asked for a book. She will sit in the dark car when I go to the library just to make her point. My fingers are crossed for this book! Good Luck to you too!