Thursday, November 27, 2008

Dinner for two

I've always loved Thanksgiving. Growing up, all of our family (mom's and dad's sides) came to our house. I loved the season and getting things ready. It was such a fun time. Seeing ALL the family together. One weird aunt always brought lasagna for some reason. It was just a nice day. Then, I grew up. My parents separated. Big Thanksgivings were a thing of the past. There are honestly a few years that I have no memory of how/where we celebrated. I adjusted.

Then, in college, a long-time friend's parents started hosting Thanksgiving for people who had no where else to go. The wife worked at a hospital that was about 20 minutes from their house and they even invited the people who were working on the holiday to drive down on their breaks and eat a meal. So, in addition to their extended family (both sides) and our family (including my brother and his wife & kids many years) we had a steady stream of people coming in and out during the day. Then, that family moved to FL. And we were without a celebration once again. I adjusted.

Then, my mom took up the hosting duties. For years, we've hauled food and assorted family members to her house for turkey. It was modeled on the dinners of Thanksgivings past at the friends' house. Anyone who needed a place to go was welcome. Our group has varied widely over the years. We've always had a houseful (thanks in large part to my foster kids). This year, however, I have no one to join us. My brother is working. His wife and sons are going to her parents. I'm foster kid-less. My girls have grown up and chosen to join the families of husband/boyfriend for the holiday. And here I am, going to my mom's alone. I guess I'll adjust. I have to adjust. But right now, just for a while I hope, I'm sad...really, really sad.

2 comments:

Tudu said...

I hope it turned out OK for you. My 10 yr old threatens to never return for the holidays when she grows up every time she rages. Weird, huh? They are so good at finding our buttons.

momma-o-minnie said...

I'm starting down that long path of losing kids at Thanksgiving... 2(plus a daughter-in-law) were gone out of the 8 this year, and I, too, started to wonder what I would do in years to come. They have dinners for seniors and dinners for homeless for thanksgiving.I'm thinking they need to have dinners for empty-nesters... Turkey, dressing, and lots of kleenex