Tuesday, November 25, 2008

If only I could prescribe...

Elvis woke up Monday morning with a red mark under his lip. I assumed he'd rolled into the wooden rail on his bed and it was just a scratch. By the end of the school day, there were 6-8 little pimple-like things in the red area. My diagnosis? Impetigo. We put Neosporin on it. Tuesday morning, the pimples were bigger. Then one appeared on his lip before we got to the pediatrician's office. Her diagnosis? Impetigo.

He's had a couple of crying spells - one Monday night and another Tuesday afternoon. Not that he never cries but these spells seemed a little out of the ordinary. On a hunch, I asked the doctor to check his ears since we were there. Sure enough. She said his right ear was in the very first stages of an ear infection.

My diagnostic skills have been honed by years of teaching small children and fostering parenting the masses. Now if they'd just let me prescribe drugs, I could have a second job...and a well-paying one, at that!

In other Elvis news, he saw his neurologist today. The man's got the personality of a dish rag but he can prescribe - LOL! Anyway, he made no changes to Elvis' seizure meds. He's going to explore whether or not we can try Botox injections to loosen Elvis' inner thigh muscles. He said different people get different results from them. Man, oh man, I hope they work because if they don't, the next step is selective dorsal rhizotomy. And that? Scares me...a lot.

3 comments:

MammaT said...

My Girlfriend was the SIXTH person (yes, AKA test subject) to get the SDR, she says she wouldn't change it for anything.

Jane said...

Cool! Was her surgery in St. Louis?

I've researched the SDR quite a bit for several years. I do think we'll end up doing it. I just have a couple of issues right now. Elvis in on our state's version on Medicaid for insurance. That insurance doesn't want to pay for out of state services. They will cover it here in our state. And the surgeons here were trained in St. Louis. However, when you are talking about someone cutting into your child's spinal column and permanently severing nerve rootlets, do you want that done by the doctor who pioneered the surgery or someone who trained under him? I want Elvis' done by the MASTER! And, the neuro says this surgery won't help Elvis to walk. He'll never be "functionally ambulatory." The SDR will be primarily for "ease of care." That makes me feel like a lousy caregiver, if I want to open his spinal column to make things easier on me. I know that's not that whole case but it's the way I think right now.

Friday said...

We don't know what Elvis is thinking but I'm positive that he would want to make things as easy on you as possible.