Monday, March 30, 2009

Disheartened

There is so much going on here that I don't even have the ability to process it enough to post it here. I will soon. Bear with me, please.

In the meantime, nothing takes your mind off a little emotional trauma like a good home renovation project. So, I've hired a "carpenter." I use the quotations there because he's also my lawn guy. He came to cut my yard last week and happened to mention that he liked yard work but his favorite thing was sheet rock repair. I dragged him into my kitchen (which I stripped the wallpaper from well over a year ago) and said, "Help!"

So, he's stripped the paneling that covered my kitchen walls from the middle down. He's going to replace it with sheet rock. He's also going to skim coat the existing sheet rock to give me a smooth surface for painting. If all goes according to plan, by the end of spring break, I should have kitchen walls! Hooray!

To give you a visual -

Kitchen walls in February, 2008, before I tackled this project


Kitchen walls after I stripped wallpaper but did nothing else in March, 2008 (Explains the need for the skim coat at the top, huh?)


Kitchen walls with newly discovered moldy insulation, March, 2009



Kitchen walls as they currently are - stripped of 70s paneling and moldy sheet rock

2 comments:

Tudu said...

I was getting worried.

The Accidental Mommy said...

wow, what a huge amount of work!