Monday, March 9, 2009

One of these girls...


One of these young ladies died today. It's not Beth, thank goodness. I still don't have all the details but she (dead girl, not Beth) had been drinking and decided to go play on four-wheelers with friends. At 18, her life is over...9 weeks before her high school graduation.


This time last year, Beth and this girl were theverybestfriendsever. Literally, they were inseparable, despite my best attempts at separating them. I believe I even referred to this girl as "idiot friend" on my blog. She wasn't outright evil but she was a bad influence on Beth. She was definitely in charge in her family. Her mother and Nana seemed to have little ability (or desire) to rein in her behavior.


And now? They can't. Ever again.


How sad. For them. For Beth (who is shaken, even though they weren't still best friends). For the other kids in their school who will again have to bury a classmate.

3 comments:

Mongoose said...

We get lots of fatalities from ATVs up here, and the town to the south of us is especially bad for teenagers having motor vehicle crashes. I feel so judgemental of them because it's so predictable and so hard on the people around them.

That's sure a lot of death around you lately. I hope you're doing ok. Your new blog theme is sure cheery, anyway.

((hugs))

Paula Perry said...

oh no, thats terrible, i bet beth is taking it hard right? its such a shame when young kids destroy themselves. so sad.

Carol said...

Oh, how very sad. When DH bought the ATV (without my assent or knowledge), I told him that if he let DD either drive it or ride on it, and she got hurt, there would be a divorce. He got all offended. I am still adhering to that policy, although I don't even know if he remembers me saying that.

I'm very sorry that Beth's friend (or former friend) made choices that hurt so many people...I'll say a little prayer that Beth be able to find a positive way to channel her grief...