Friday, December 21, 2007

Christmas is coming - ready or not

We've been out of school since noon on Wednesday. At that time, it seemed like we had all the time in the world. Now, heading into the weekend, things are getting rushed.

To celebrate our release from prison, I mean, school, we went to the movies to see Fred Claus. This was the kids' pick, not mine, but it was a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours. It was not as good as Elf, but it had its sweet moments. We actually tried to see August Rush Thursday night but the theater had screwed up its schedule and there wasn't a night showing of that movie. Elvis screamed bloody murder when we left without seeing a movie. I never knew he enjoyed them so much. His little heart was evidently broken. I felt horrible that he was so upset but had no other option. There was no other movie starting within an hour that was even remotely kid-friendly. (So, we went to Sonic and bought him a cup of ice cream and then took him to visit my mom. He felt better after that.) We went to the movies again today to see P.S. I Love You. It was okay. Ordinarily if I see 3 movies a year in the theater, it's unusual. Now that I've seen 2 in 3 days, that is really unusual!

I went to Wal-Mart really early this morning. I think I've finished shopping for my kids. I still need to buy for a friend and her family. I need a little something to go with what I bought for my mom. I think my nephews are getting either cash, or gift cards to favorite restaurants. I just need to finish it all off and start wrapping.

Tomorrow night, for the first time in 4 or 5 years, I'll be going to the Christmas gathering of my father's family. For longer than I've been alive, this event has been held on Christmas Eve. In recent years, we've had other plans that were more appropriate for my family so so skipped the family event. (The family event isn't bad. However, there are a few smokers and a lot of drinkers there. My kids come from backgrounds where a few drinks turn quickly into a bad situation. I try to shield them from events where alcohol is involved. They need to see you can have fun and celebrate and still be able to remember it in the morning. Plus, my father has been dead about 7 years. Partying with his brothers and sister doesn't rank high on my must-do list.) Due to family work schedules, this year's festivities will take place on the Saturday before Christmas. Since I can't use the scheduling conflict as an excuse this year, we're going to try it. The kids are older. They have better boundaries. And, it will be nice to see everyone. Many of them live here in town but I rarely see them. A cousin, who lives less than 5 miles from my home, had a baby in January or February of this year. I've never seen the baby. And, honestly, at the first sign of trouble, we're outta there!

Cori has a big day coming up on Christmas Eve. Her grandmothers have gotten permission for her and one of her little sisters to spend the day with them. She's very excited. She has only been to their house once since she came into foster care almost 6 years ago. Their house was the happy place of her childhood. She's so happy to get to go back for the day. She's guaranteed to have major behavior issues when she comes back. That's the way it works for kids like her. She gets to do something that she enjoys so I'm paid back with a couple days of worse-than-usual behavior problems. Don't ask me to explain this. I can't. All I know is that it will happen.

No comments: