Friday, February 15, 2008

Still enjoying our time off school

It's hard to believe today is just Friday. We've been out of school since Tuesday afternoon. We actually got a little snow/ice Wednesday morning and schools probably would have been closed anyway. It doesn't take much here because we have almost no equipment to clear snowy roads. It feels like we have been out forever and we still have Saturday, Sunday, and Monday off before we go back. It's like an extended holiday and I love it!

We didn't get much done here yesterday. Alli and I took Elvis to his appointments. Beth and Cori helped my mom clean her house a bit while we were gone. After that, we came home and chilled until time for Cori's psychiatrist appointment. That appointment is an hour away and I refuse to take her to those appointments now. There are plenty of decent providers here in our town. I don't have time to run all over the countryside for low-quailty care. The doctor she sees is crazy. Anyway, her worker has to take her. She picked her up from the house and I met them on the interstate afterwards to save the worker a little driving. She has a fiance and I'm sure they had plans for Valentine's night that didn't involve running up and down the interstate with Cori. The worker did seem properly appreciative that I met them there.

The worker and I had a long phone conversation earlier that day. I told her I'm ready for Cori to move on. She said Cori told her she's ready to go, too. They have one homestudy submitted on her that looks promising. It's out of state but Cori just might agree at this point. If she wants out of here badly enough and that's her only option, she just might agree.

Beth went with her new boyfriend to ride four-wheelers for their Valentine's celebration. Not my idea of romantic but she had a good time. Alli and Boy Wonder went to his house for spaghetti with his mom and to watch the Simpsons movie. Again, interesting choice for Valentine's, but I guess since I spent the evening with Elvis, I can't say much. After Cori's appointment, we stopped by my mom's for potato soup and cornbread. It was great (even better because I didn't have to cook it).

Today we actually started working on our kitchen re-do. We are stripping the ugly teal floral wallpaper. It played a nasty trick on us, though. The first 3 strips peeled off easily with just out fingers. After that, the rest seemed to be stuck on with super glue. We went and bought the Paper Tiger and the spray-on wallpaper remover. They are helping some but the work is slow and tedious. If I was independently wealthy, I'd be hiring someone for all this crap. But, I'm a poor teacher so we'll trudge along removing the paper piece-by-dime-sized-piece and hope I don't have to kill one of the kids along the way. They should know by now to either help me or stay out of my way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like things are really going well for you and the gang. I'm so glad! Enjoy your weekend.
Stephanie