Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Busy, busy

The trip went well. We enjoyed the break from Cori and the break from our wild lives. How can you not have fun at an indoor water park? Everybody could pretty much do what they wanted, when they wanted. There were no major squabbles or explosions.

Today was Alli's doctor appointment. I took off school to go with her. It was the world's quickest appointment. The doctor was literally in and out in less than 2 minutes. He was oh so helpful - NOT! I did get to hear the heartbeat. Her next appointment is in 4 weeks and it's the big one - the ultrasound. I'm guessing I'll get to meet the baby's father that day, as we both plan on going with her.

I also survived turning 40. It was oddly painless. (Better than the alternative!) After the doctor appointment, I spent the day with Alli. We went to two different Goodwill stores, looking for clothes for her. (She's growing out of her current wardrobe but not ready for maternity clothes yet, either.) We struck out there but spent the rest of the day shopping around. She got a few clothing items at Target and K-Mart that will be her Christmas presents. She's wearing them for now but I'll take them away and wrap them on Christmas Eve. They just couldn't wait. She has one pair of jeans and they are way too tight in the waist. We did have a nice day together, even when we were stuck in traffic.

Tonight, we went to our local mall to watch my nephews sing with our church's kids' missions group. They were great, of course. After that, we ran through the Krystal drive-through for a lovely birthday dinner. Ain't 40 grand? Krystal burgers and kids singing Christmas songs. It truly doesn't get much better than that.

Sadly, my 40th birthday wish of a shiny red minivan is not meant to be...for several reasons. With a grandchild on the way, it's not the time to spend money foolishly. My current van is fine (ugly and old, but fine). With just a few exceptions, it gets us where we need to be. Also, I want a Chrysler Town and Country. Ordinarily, a 2007 model would be fine but they have completely redesigned the 2008 model. Since I refuse to buy a brand new van, I need to wait until the 08s start to filter into the used car market. And, I haven't had a car payment since 1993. I've accepted the fact that I will have to get a loan to buy a van, I'm just not ready to commit to a car payment. I'm close, but not there yet. So, I'll continue to drive my oooold van, at least for another year, if my wonderful mechanic can keep it on the road.

No comments: