Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Adoption decision...I think

As of right now, I'm planning to go ahead with the adoption of Alli. She's agreeable and I do have a reason to go through with it. If (or more likely, when) her children are removed by DCS somewhere down the road, I'll be the legal grandmother, making it possible for me to either get custody or, if that's not in someone's best interest, I can at least have visits with the kids. If I haven't adopted her, I'm just her former foster mom.

Whether I adopt her or not, she's mine. I think I'd rather go ahead and make us legal. I don't have to leave her any inheritance. The way I understand it, if I die without a will, she would get an equal share of what little I had, divided between all my legal kids. So, I'll write a will. It will likely change over time, depending on what happens with our relationship.

So, I'm waiting for my attorney to return my call to see just how much this little legality is going to cost. I'm always amazed at what they charge for things like this.

No comments: