Saturday, January 12, 2008

Best laid plans and all....

Today was supposed to be a fun day. With Cori off to her grandmother's for the day, I was going to have a fun day with my kids. We needed a good day, as most of my days have really, really sucked lately. We'd planned to go see a movie they really want to see and eat at our favorite Chinese restaurant. (Cori is guaranteed to vomit if she eats there so we've been avoiding going.) Things started to fall apart last night.

Alli announced at 7:00 PM and that she and Elvis were going to spend the night with Boy Wonder. 10 years, 36 kids and this is the first time one of my kids has just announced they were about to go forth and sin. How in the world was I supposed to respond to that? She just walked out the door telling me she'd be home between 7:00 and 7:30 this morning. I experienced feelings I don't think I'd ever felt before. I'm still nauseated just thinking about it. I'm not naive. Obviously they have had sex - they have a baby on the way. I'm just floored that she would dare to be so blatant about it. It really felt like I'd been physically slapped in the face. It honestly took my breath away. Yes, she is twenty. However she wants to have the freedom of an adult and still have all the benefits of being a child. Things have to change.

Beth had gone home from school with a friend. They were going ice skating for the friend's birthday and then she was supposed to come home. Their plans changed and they ended up going to a late movie (the one we'd planned to see today as a family) and she asked to spend the night with the friend.

So, I was alone with Crazy Cori all last night. She, thankfully, stayed in her room for most of the night. She was only out a couple of hours. I spent my time writing a loooooong letter to Alli about how unhappy I was with the way things were going around here and things I thought needed to change to make things better.

This morning, Alli did not come home before 7:30. I texted her at 8:30 but got no response. She finally got home about 10:00 and went straight to her room. The only reason I know she read the looooong letter is that I saw it opened on her table. To be fair, she has made attempts to have pleasant conversations with me a couple of times today. BW called once when we were chatting about absolutely nothing and she silenced her phone and we finished our conversation. She called her job and got back on the schedule for week after next. (This week's schedule was already full but he told her he'd call her in if someone didn't show.) I'm having to think positively and take this as baby steps in the right direction.

We've spent what was supposed to be our fun day moping around the house. Alli and Elvis just left with one of her female friends for ice cream and a trip to Wal-Mart. Beth and I ordered lots of take out from the Chinese place and have filled our tummies. That was fun. We tried to watch Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants but our DVD player is being cranky and won't play the sound. So, we are watching a trashy teen-angst movie on Lifetime. I guess maybe we did salvage a little fun for our fun day. Now, if I only knew where Alli and Elvis were going to sleep tonight...

No comments: