Saturday, January 12, 2008

Unexpected Deb update

While at DCS yesterday, I realized that Deb's bio mom was also in the lobby. She was there to visit Deb, so I knew the kid was in the building. Bio mom went back to her visit through a door with an automatic closure on it. I watched through the little window on the door as the mom walked into the visit room. She obviously told Deb I was there because moments later, Deb came shooting out of the visit room screaming my name. She hit the locked door and began frantically yelling my name and yanking on the door with all her might. She actually was pulling so hard she fell to the floor, screaming my name the whole time. Her mother came right behind her, though, saying this is your time to spend with me not with her. And with that, she began dragging the screaming 9 year old back to the visit room. Why in the world did she tell her I was there if she wasn't going to let her see me?

Cori's worker came to get me then, sparing me from any further screaming. I'd expected that to be that. However, after the meeting, we opened the door only to see Deb and her transporter waiting in the waiting room. Her transporter needed to talk to her case worker, so I got to catch up with Deb.

She's moved twice since leaving my home in late October. She went to the first home after mine and that foster family requested her to be moved. She's in another home, in another county for now. At the end of the month, she's moving again, to yet another county. Four homes in four months. And we wonder why kids in the system get so screwed up.

No comments: