Saturday, January 19, 2008

Life still goes on

Things are continuing pretty much the same. Cori is officially listed on our state's website for kids waiting for families. I check the site a couple of times a week, just out of habit. I have to admit I was a little taken aback when she first popped up on there yesterday. It's the exact same picture and profile they have been using for her for almost 3 years. Give it up, folks. Try a little honesty. Maybe you can find a home that really is suited to her needs and she just might find her forever family.

To say things are stressful with Alli would be an understatement. She explodes over simple things. I don't know if it's pregnancy hormones or her response to feeling guilty that she's disappointed me. Either way, it's pretty tough to take. Watching her fawn over Boy Wonder is sickening, at best. It's like watching a 14 year old girl giggle on the phone with her boyfriend. What's so disturbing is that it is so fake. She was never that kind of girl. She's trying so hard to convince herself that moving in with him is what is best. Anger is the emotion I seem to get the most of from her. It's so hard not to fire back with anger. I'm holding off the best I can but I really fear that it will happen before she actually moves.

Beth is awesome. She's come so far in the last year. This time last year she was so seriously out of control I wondered if she'd end up back in state custody on unruly charges. I have to say she has grown up and stepped up and become a wonderful young lady. She's not perfect - no one is. She's going to stumble along the way - everyone does. However, in the long run, I think she's got a good chance. She is my calm in the storm that is my life these days.


I heard from the mechanic that is working on my van and the news is not good. He fixed all my minor issues but one unexpected issue turned out to be huge. The check engine light was on because there are issues with the transmission. I've already put one new transmission in that van. Of course, that was 2 years (and 58,000 miles) ago so the warranty is expired. Now, it's decision time. I've sunk a lot of money in that van the last few years. You'd think I'd about replaced everything in it except the engine at this point. Do I replace the transmission again? I haven't had a car payment since 1993ish. I guess it's time to take a close look at the budget and see just how out of reach a new-to-me minivan is. I'm off to search local listings for a used Quest. A girl can dream, can't she?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just caught up with the Detroit auto show news. It's still true that Hondas and Toyotas have as much (if not more) American parts and labors than the big 3 "American" dealers. And the truth is, Dailmer/Chryslers have almost no U.S. parts or assembly.

I hope you find something fantastic for you!

Steph

Kimmah said...

It's a helluva lot cheaper to replace the transmission at this point with the uncertainty with things going on than to buy a new/used van.

If you do decide to buy, PLEASE do NOT get another Dodge/Chrysler. It isn't normal to go through transmissions like you do (and I did in my old one)--you need to expand your horizons.

I have read good and bad about the Quest...I can't remember what the bad was and it was five years ago when I was looking. I'm going to see what I can dig up.

If I had to buy one tomorrow, I'd get a Sienna or an Odyssey. I really like the parental van a lot. I think I'm actually leaning towards the dreaded SUV when it comes time for a new vehicle though. Ack!