Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Doctor visit - DONE

Alli went back to her OB today for a check up. The waiting room time was really painful. We walked in and it was crowded and smelled of cigarette smoke and unwashed bodies. To make it worse, the only seats empty were beside a woman who had her 4 month old daughter with her. I realized I was tearing up at the same moment I saw a tear drop from Alli's face to her shirt. We sat close together, with my arm across her back for a while. She went to the bathroom to compose herself. She was better when she came back. The doctor was at the hospital, delivering, I guess and the receptionist kept offering to reschedule anyone's appointment. We declined as we wanted this over. It was so hard sitting there, seeing a pregnant woman or a baby in every direction we looked. We held it together and discussed odd things, trying to ignore the world around us.

We finally got to the back office over an hour after the appointment time. I'm guessing he hadn't read her records because he kept asking her when/how things happened. The appointment itself was nothing. There was no exam or tests. Alli's blood pressure was high but this was the first time ever, so they weren't concerned. She's lost almost 20 pounds since her last appointment in January. She goes back in 3 weeks for the follow up exam and that when he wants to discuss birth control options. She says she doesn't want another baby right now and I'm so glad to hear that. We've discussed that having another baby soon won't replace Blair. 2008 should be Blair's year. Hopefully, Alli can find something she wants to do and get the necessary training. Her being gainfully employed before the next preganancy sounds good to me.

After the appointment, I dropped her off at Boy Wonder's house. BW was watching Elvis while we were at the doctor's. I'm still feeling better about BW. He's a little more at ease with me now. I think he's just painfully shy and unsure of himself in social settings. He is trying. I've been really impressed with the way he has handled things during the last couple of weeks. I find myself hoping at times that they can make this relationship work. Nothing like a little tragedy to bring people together. Maybe that was Blair's purpose?

No comments: