Friday, February 22, 2008

TGIF and TGFN

That would be "Thank God it's Friday" and "Thank God for NyQuil." I'm so glad this week is over. I didn't think today, in particular, would ever end. I was up all last night, coughing and blowing my nose. I literally saw every hour on the clock. That, of course, made for one cranky kindergarten teacher today. Add to that the fact that it was rainy and we couldn't have recess, and things get worse. To top it off, our principal has banned the use of TV during school hours and I really just had too much time with 5 year olds. (Usually on rainy day recesses, we watch a favorite dances video and dance along. Nothing like doing the Limbo and the Bunny Hop with a bunch of little ones to give you a giggle.) Thanks to Principal Hitler, I was giggle-less today. Ok, I did have one giggle today. The K kids line up in the halls by groups. Car riders from all classes line up together. All bus riders line up together, etc. As I was getting my kids lined up in my room, I heard the teacher across the hall correcting one of her students. She was telling him in a stern voice that "it is not okay to run down the hall and slide into the bus line on your belly like the penguins do." At the end of a loooooong day, this was incredibly funny to me - but only because it was not me having to say that to one of my students.

So, on the way home, I ran into a store and bought a bottle of liquid NyQuil...you know the stuff that's 10% alcohol. I haven't had the stuff in years. I bet I haven't taken it since college. I hate the taste of it and the hangover I have the next day. (I'm so not a drinker.) But, I've GOT to sleep tonight or I'm gonna kill someone. Cori would be the most likely victim.

Cori is continuing her one-woman crusade to make me lose my mind. She's been working on a project for school. I've been hearing about it for about 3 weeks. Her partner came over Sunday and they completed their display board. I thought all was well. Cori announced last night about 7:00 that she had to have dress pants to wear today for the presentation. She doesn't take care of the clothes she has. Why would I buy her anything else? Especially since she'd only wear it this one time. She had suitable clothing. I refused. She stomped and pouted but gave it up. About 8:30, she announced she had to have a pink tablecloth. We don't have one. She says, "Then you'll have to go buy me one." Um, no I don't. I was in jammies and ready for a couple episodes of the Gilmore Girls and then to cough my head off in bed. I certainly was not going to get dressed and go shopping at that point. More stomping and pouting from her but I just didn't care anymore. I just don't know what's going to happen with that girl.

Boy Wonder has been off work all this week. He's been sick but not for the whole week. He and Alli are going to have to get back into the real world. I plan on telling her that she needs to call her job this weekend and get back on the schedule to work the first week of March - even if it's just one or two nights that first week. She's done nothing in the last few weeks. It's time for her be doing something functional.

Beth is pushing her limits these days, too. She has a new best friend and a new boyfriend. Whenever that happens, she goes a little nuts. She's all about having fun and not so much interested in following rules. She's responding okay to the consequences for her actions, though. She admitted she knew she'd done the wrong things recently and didn't gripe when punished. Accepting responsibility for your actions - what a novel concept. She did get to go out for a few hours tonight but she's with me the rest of the weekend. Her English teacher called to tell me she's missing some assignments and failing as a result. She's brought the assignments and book home this weekend and she's going to finish them up and scrape the wallpaper that's still above the cabinets.

The week had ended and the box of Blair clothes is still unopened. It's just not time yet. I'm good with that.

No comments: