Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Cori update

I called her worker to check the progress towards her new family. They have 3 families that are possibilities. They are supposedly in the process of contacting each family to see if they want to be considered to adopt Cori. (These families are just matches from the computer system. They are certified to adopt and have stated that they would be interested in adopting a child that meets some of Cori's characteristics. Kind of like computer dating but for matching a child to a family.) Of course, they move at the speed of a dead turtle when working on things like this.

I told the worker that I was going to be Cori-free for my two-week spring break. They had 3 options: 1) have her moved to an adoptive home, 2) find a respite home for her, 3) move her to another foster home. After some grumbling, they opted for #2. Here, foster parents are supposed to find their own respite providers. I don't know any foster parents who I think could keep her for two weeks. (She has some court-ordered safety measures that prevent her from being placed with younger children.) They (DCS) can find the provider and I'll pay for the respite. Best I can offer. I told the worker if they were going to make me find the provider, I'd just request they move her.

So, on March 24, Cori is going away until April 6. After we had it arranged I realized that she would be in respite for her 16th birthday. This made me feel a little guilty but not guilty enough to keep her home. I NEED this break. Her birthday is right in the middle of the two-week vacation. I'll just have to continue to feel guilty but send her on to respite with a cake and a couple of gifts. We'll do a proper celebration when she comes back. At times I'm ashamed of myself for feeling this way about her. She's child, for goodness sake! However, she has a lot of needs that I'm unable to fill. I know I'm doing the right thing by having her move on. I just have to keep reminding myself it's the best decision for all involved.

No comments: