Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Momma time

As in, I needed some time with my mom. The bathroom repair/remodel is reaching epic proportion and I needed to go to Lowe's tonight to buy a bathtub. I've never bought a tub before but I had to have it here tomorrow morning for the plumber to rough-in. Coincidentally, the last place in the world I wanted to go tonight was Lowe's. I was in a foul mood anyway. We had a busy afternoon. I still don't feel totally well. I just didn't want to go. I ended up calling my mom and asking her to meet me there. That's one of the downfalls of being single. I have to make all the decisions. I hate making decisions. Mom did come and we wandered through the plumbing section like we knew what we needed. (My mom is good at things like this. As I grew up, she supplemented our income by owning and maintaining rental property. She's quite experienced in all things related to home improvement.) We looked and discussed options. A very nice employee named Jon really helped us out. He even knocked $26 off the price of my tub/shower faucet set because the box had been opened (after he looked in and made sure all the pieces were there). We left there 40 minutes later (and $439 poorer), owning a tub faucet, vent fan with light, and a bathtub. I still need to buy a vanity, counter top with sink, and the toilet. My new buddy Jon gave me his work schedule and told me he'd cut me a deal on a certain vanity that is already on clearance. I like that guy!

After nearly having a stroke after spending that much money, I stood in the Lowe's parking lot and talked to Mom. We talked about almost everything...for 45 minutes or so. Our lives are so busy we rarely have time to talk like that. It was nice. I guess everyone needs a mom sometimes. I so glad I still have access to mine. I'm sure I take her for granted way too often, but plan to do better in the future.

The bathroom should begin to take shape tomorrow. A friend is bringing my tub home for me, saving the Lowe's delivery fee. (Over the years, I've hauled some odd things in my minivan but a full-sized tub/shower combo was just too much.) The plumber and the carpenter will help him unload it and when I come home from work tomorrow, it should be installed. Now, I've just got to find a way to pay the carpenter, electrician, and plumber on Friday and still feed the kids. Good thing Food Lion has Hamburger Helper on sale this week. I'd better stock up - LOL!

1 comment:

Tudu said...

How about some pictures of the new and improved bathroom.