Saturday, March 1, 2008

Sweet moment with Beth

Since I've been griping about her publicly, I feel the need to share the sweet side of her, too.

We were leaving to pick up Cori from the mall, where we'd dropped her with her friend. Beth was going along just to drive. I walked out of the house ahead of her and saw that our cats had a tiny chipmunk cornered under a shrub. I looked away and quickly walked toward the van, assuming they'd already injured the little thing and it was best to let nature take it's course. Beth walked out a minute later and immediately started stomping at the cats and tossed a stick towards them. Seeing her so determined to help Chip (or Dale?) I got out of the van and went to help. Would you believe we were able to hold up a stick and the critter jumped onto it? Together, we carefully carried the rodent-on-a-stick to a huge tree in our yard and the chipmunk jumped off the stick and quickly scampered up the tree out of the reach of our intellectually-challenged cats.

We continued on our journey, picking Cori up just a little late. She, predictably, didn't care that we were running late because we'd saved a life and was extra sullen on our trip home. Who cares anymore? It got even better when she asked what was for dinner. I told her we'd had Chinese but there were lots of leftovers in the fridge and lots of canned stuff in the pantry. (You'll remember that due to her spontaneous vomiting, guaranteed to happen after consuming Chinese food, she's not allowed to eat Chinese food at my house ever again.) She stomped off to her room and slammed her door. I'll be calling her case worker Monday. I need to know where they are in the process of moving her on. Not far enough for me (or Cori), I'm sure.

No comments: