Thursday, April 10, 2008

Let's get ready to rumble

I asked Alli last night if she was talking Elvis to therapy. She said yes. Rather than go to bed on time, I stayed up to get some things together to make the day a little easier on her. I packed Elvis' food for his feeding therapy. I got Alli a little kit together of things to do while he was in therapy. (She hates the time sitting in the waiting room.) I charged her laptop battery. I got two movies that she's been wanting to see and put them with it. I dug through the pantry and found the last, hidden package of microwave popcorn. I dug through the junk drawer and found a set of headphones. I had her a complete movie kit that could be used in the waiting room at the therapy center.

This morning, ten minutes before time to leave, I texted her to ask if she was up. I got no answer so I went back to wake her. She said she wasn't going. I was FURIOUS! My blood pressure was probably 300/200. I guess I'm lucky I didn't stroke out.

I just have so much trouble dealing with her attitude. I realize she's probably clinically depressed. (Of course, so am I but I get up and work and run the house every day.) However, she is also Elvis' mother and he has things he needs from her. I don't think this once a week therapy is asking too much. It costs her nothing but her time. And, she's not doing anything else anyway.

I left for work crying. That's not a good way to start the day. I had mellowed some by the time I got to work. She was texting furiously apologizing. I apologized, too. I'm sure this crew of kids had never seen me that angry. We've talked some this evening. I tried to make her see that Elvis needs this therapy. To the right person, her skipping it without a valid reason could be deemed medical neglect. It's also not fair to the therapy center to lose that money.

Things are better now. We've hugged and made up, so to speak. I just don't get what she's thinking. Elvis deserves better.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you need someone to come to your house and kick the shit out of her every morning? If it doesn't get corrected soon she'll be 35 and wearing a moomoo every day, living in your garage, and not paying rent!

Jane said...

No thanks...not yet anyway :-)

Tudu said...

You are right, it could be considered medical neglect, she is walking a dangerous line. Depressed or not Elvis has needs and she is not filling them, he deserves a good parent one that puts him first. It seems she is putting BW first, herself second, and if she feels like it Elvis is considered. Losing a child is tough but if she doesn't get herself motivated again, she may not have the one she has. She can over come this, it doesn't mean she has to forget her daughter just parent her son. I wish her all the luck in the world coming to terms with her loss.

Kimmah said...

She's a self-centered brat--that's her problem. I can relate because there have been many days that I didn't get out of bed because I just wanted to wallow. It wasn't fair to my kids to be left to their own devices with Pop Tarts and telly. It's a coping mechanism.

Hopefully she went today, yes?

Jane said...

Yes, she went this week. She also took Elvis to the doctor finally.

I understand the need to wallow. I do some wallowing myself. However, it is rapidly becoming ALL she does. I've got to get her to "un-wallow."