Tuesday, April 1, 2008

What's the opposite of a sweet sixteen?

A sour sixteen, maybe? Whatever it is, Cori's having it and I feel so bad for her. I ended up not putting her in respite. She's been so excited about her birthday that she's been great around the house. And, I felt so bad for her after the permanency plan meeting last week when the worker announced there were no families in the whole country willing to adopt her. So, I just didn't send her to respite. She asked to invite a friend over and I agreed. They've talked every day, planning what they were going to do. Today, an hour before the friend was to arrive, she called and said she couldn't come. I don't know why. Cori was beyond crushed. I just sent her to call another friend and see if she can come. If not, the rest of us are going to have to pull together and come up with something majorly fun to do tonight.

Today is her 16th birthday. She has been in state custody since she was 9. She had her 10th, 11th, and 12th birthdays with me. Her 13th birthday was with the adoptive placement that disrupted after 9 months. She came back to me and then a judge ordered her moved to a foster home with no other kids a few weeks before she turned 14. I got to pick her up on her 14th birthday and provided cake and all her gifts. I didn't see her on her 15th birthday but saw her the day after it at court. She's been back with me since June. Now she's back on the internet as a waiting child. Her permanency goal has been "adoption" since 2003. Bless her heart. She makes me CRAZY, but, bless her heart.

You don't know how badly I wish I could commit to adopting her but I just can't. It wouldn't be in her best interest or mine.

No comments: