Sunday, May 18, 2008

Elvis' addiciton issues

Elvis is addicted....to ice cream! We hardly ever have the stuff in the house. Not one of us, except Elvis, needs the fat and calories. However, one day this week, a friend showed up with a half-gallon of Oreo ice cream from Baskin Robbins. It sat, untouched, in the freezer until Elvis woke me up screaming Friday night about 10:30. I knew he needed a snack before bed (we are always looking for ways to get more calories into him) so I scooped some ice cream into a bowl and he ate every drop of it. He fussed a little when it was gone. I showed him the bowl was empty and, there was a little more fussing, but he gave it up. I brushed his teeth and he went on to sleep.

Last night, before we started his bedtime routine, I scooped him out a big bowl full of ice cream. Again, he ate every bite, even saying ice cream (sounded like "ice eem" but I got what he meant) several times. When it ran out, more screaming headed my way. I showed him the empty bowl. Screaming. I kept telling him it was all gone. More screaming. I offered him milk to drink. He pushed the cup away and screamed some more. I tried to brush his teeth but he kept biting down on the toothbrush. He cried - long and loud, for about 30 minutes all together. None of my usual tricks worked.

Tonight, I'm almost afraid to offer the ice cream. Maybe he can have it early? I've got to work tomorrow so I can't stay up all night trying to make him forget the ice cream. I don't want to skip it all together. He has so few things in life that make him this happy. I can't keep buying the expensive kind from the ice cream shop, though. He's going to have to learn to make do with whatever is on sale at the grocery store. However, if it makes him happy and maybe even helps him gain a little weight, I'll happily indulge his addiction...to "ice eem!"

1 comment:

Tudu said...

Poor thing, he NEEDS it! You must not keep it from him and I am sure any brand will do just don't get him started on Ben & Jerry's. That is a mistake you will not recover from.