Saturday, May 24, 2008

The endless Friday night

Due to a scheduling issue, I was on Elvis-duty last night. I didn't mind and was glad to do it. Alli and Beth's bio cousin (Cousin It) was graduating from high school at a large school in the north end of our county. Beth wanted to go. Boy Wonder's younger brother was graduating from a rural high school at the other end of the county. Obviously, Alli and Boy Wonder needed to attend that ceremony. Elvis and I hung out at the house. He was tired and cranky so after reading his favorite books, we both got into our jammies and snuggled up in my bed about 9:00. He was knocked out by about 9:05.

Alli and Boy Wonder arrived home about 9:35. They brought with them many, many members of BW's family. They came to swim. At almost 10:00 PM. In our pool that backs up to two houses occupied by elderly people. I hid in my room as I wasn't dressed. I did text Alli to have her keep reminding the swimmers that old people were sleeping right by our pool. They were still incredibly loud. I could hear them in my room (other end and opposite side of the house). They finally left about 10:30 and I asked Alli to get Elvis by 11:00. She said she was going to get something to eat and would be right back. They left to make a "run for the border," leaving me with the sleeping Elvis in my bed.

They got home right at 11 but hadn't eaten yet. She finally came and got him about 11:20. I settled in with a book I've been wanting to read. At midnight, I hear Elvis screaming. Something has woken him up. Instead of staying in their part of the house (bothering BW) she's brought him into our part of the house (bothering me). She got him quiet and put him on Beth's bed (unoccupied because Beth was spending the night with a friend). She LEFT HIM THERE watching a DVD and returned to her room, promising not to fall asleep before getting him. I shut my door, not wanting to be a party to her neglect. At 2:30, I woke up to more Elvis screaming. He was still alone in Beth's room. I called Alli. No answer. My call did wake her up and she eventually came to him. I shut my door and went back to bed. She slept in Beth's room with him the rest of the night.

This morning at 5, the dog woke me up. He was aggravated at being trapped in my room by my shut door. I got up and let him out. I'd just drifted back to sleep when I heard the front door open. Alli's bio mom was letting herself into MY house to drop off Little Sister! I'm assuming she'd called Alli's cell and Alli (answering the cell I pay for when her bio mom calls but not when I do) had gotten up and unlocked the door for her. Instead of waiting at the door to get Little Sister, she'd headed back to bed and given bio mom instructions to just come in and bring Little Sister to her room. (Violated is the best word for how I feel on that one.)

So, after sleeping 3.5 hours on Thursday night and about 4 hours Friday night, I got to face the day with Little Sister and Alli's constant references to "Momma." Not good. Not good at all. I did hang around the house this morning. I napped a little around lunch time and then took off. I ended up going to my classroom but not doing anything productive. I'd taken a Gilmore Girls DVD and sat at my desk and watched it. Not anything I needed to do but on some levels, it was exactly what I needed. ESCAPE!

I've mellowed and I'm home now. I've been home for almost 20 minutes and the entire time, Elvis has been on my bed screaming. Alli hasn't checked on him once. He was screaming when I walked in the door so I have no clue how long it's been going on. Mother of the Year, huh? I'm off to snuggle with him and see what's up. Bless his little heart!

2 comments:

Kimmah said...

Just because they clean your pool doesn' give them carte blanche to invite people over in the middle of the night to be an insurance risk on your dime.

You have got to nip this, J. The bringing Elvis out of their part of the house and the letting them walk all over you, too. It is only going to get worse this summer.

Mongoose said...

Yes, it certainly seems that they're being very inconsiderate to you.