Sunday, May 25, 2008

I'm seeing Cori today

She's been gone since April 30 and I still have almost all her stuff. I hurriedly packed a bag of clothes when she went into the hospital. When she got out, I hurriedly packed another bag of warm weather clothes to send to her new foster home. Almost a month later, everything else is still here. Her worker has emailed and called a time or two asking when she can pick the stuff up. I tell her and then she has something else come up that needs immediate attention. I'm not complaining about the worker. She's one of the best our county has. However, she spends most of her days putting out fires. Transporting the belongings of a child who was moved almost a month ago doesn't rank very high on her list of impending explosions. So, I offered to fill the back of my van and take as much as I could.

Cori called Friday night but I missed it in all the chaos of our evening. She called again last night and I did talk to her. She was okay with me bringing her stuff. So, I'll spend the morning packing and loading what I can. She told me where to start - with the stuff she needs right away. Her foster mother said to bring it at 3:00 this afternoon. This foster mom is notoriously hard to deal with. I'm totally expecting them not to be home when I get there, even though she picked the time. If they are not, I'll just stack the stuff neatly on the porch and move on.

Cori sounded good. She lived in this home for about 6 months a couple of years ago. She has friends there still. She likes the woman's church and her extended family. She was generally positive. She has a friend spending the night tonight and they are going to a family cook out tomorrow. She did get a little teary on the phone, saying she was so sorry she'd pushed everyone away. I take that as progress, though, because it's the first time I've ever heard her admit that she had pushed anyone away. Perhaps she's catching on. Perhaps they have her with a good counselor who can help her understand what's going on and why. She's a bright kid with a horrible past. I hope they can help her get going in the right direction. She's capable of big things...I just hope they are good big things and not bad.

No comments: