Saturday, June 14, 2008

Hmmm...We've got ourselves a mystery

Our forks have disappeared. Where in the world do forks go in a home? Before our new-to-us dishwasher was installed in the spring, we used plastic forks. However, when we got the dishwasher up and running, we discovered that sometime during our plastic-fork-lives, the real forks disappeared. My mom came to the rescue with two good size tubs of yard sale cutlery. (I know "used" forks kind of grossed me out at first but a) they were the right price - free to me, and b) I ran them through the new-to-us dishwasher on the "super-hot/kill any living organism/peel the Teflon off your skillets" cycle a couple times and decided they couldn't have anything on them that could hurt us.) Our silverware drawer was full and happy again.

Tonight, after making a meal that remotely resembled spaghetti, I reached into the silverware drawer to grab a fork. I came up empty. I looked in the dishwasher. There were a few forks in there but probably no more than 6. None were in the sink. Where have our forks gone again? I assumed the last time they came up missing, it happened slowly. Maybe I was wrong? Are forks being traded on the black market? Do forks have a street value? Are those crazy kids ingesting some type of new drug that requires a forked delivery? I just don't get it.

We have no functioning garbage disposal, so that's not the problem. Cori's been gone over a month so I don't think she did anything with/to them. (I think I'd have noticed before now if she had.) I have forked a few yards in my time but I always use plastic. I've even owned a key chain made from a fork (with the tines bent to look like a hand with the middle tine/finger extended - a culinary flipping of the bird, so to speak). However, none of these fork uses appears to explain my missing cutlery.

Please be on the lookout for my forks. They are silver-ish colored, made of some type of econo-metal, have about 4 tines each and the none of the handles match each other. If you find them, send them home. We miss them. Eating a meal that resembles spaghetti with a spoon just didn't work out well.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Haha. I have to laugh at your fork problem. I used to have the same problem and then I quit using paper plates and I no longer have that problem.
When they throw the plate away they throw the fork with it. THEY meaning MY HUSBAND, hehe.
I don't know if yours are going the same way but that's what happened to mine. I know because several times when I went to throw my plate away I'd fine his with the fork on it :o)
He's a man, he's blonde, enough said, hehe.
I like your blog, I've been linking around all the large family blogs and reading. I started at my friend Paula Dunham's. Big HUGS to your daughter and her special needs son. I have a daughter with Angelman Syndrome that is non-verbal and in a wheelchair. She's just like a 10 month old and she's really 4. I always tell everyone that she's the sun that lights the earth, because she's such a joy to everyone that meets her. We are awaiting the arrival of a little girl from Texas that's just like her and is 7. Now she'll have a buddy just like her. We also have another daughter that's 6 and 2 sons that we just adopted that are 4 and 2. They have a little brother that will probably join us once the gov decides that he's been abused enough :o(
It was great reading your blog.
Happy Father's Day Mom - you do the job, you deserve the day :o)

momma-o-minnie said...

Your forks.... my spoons. I think this is the stuff nursery rhymes are made of. I'll be on the look out, but I think they ran away together...

I found some in the sandbox once (making out, it seems.) You might check there. I find forks in mysterious places like under beds, stuffed in drawers (along with dirty tupperware.) Forks are also known to be found with screwdrivers and hammers (don't ask, I don't want to know) as well as the medicine cabinet (again, ignorance IS bliss.) So, some obvioius places to check.

Mongoose said...

I love your sense of humour. :)