Monday, July 28, 2008

Gradually getting back into the school routine

We had another day of meetings today. Nothing really exciting but not the worst we've sat through, either. Tomorrow is our one teacher preparation day. The administrators always joke that they are forbidden to talk to us on that day. Somehow, we always end up having at least one short meeting. We get our class lists tomorrow, too. That's always exciting. Of course, they've already warned us that all kindergarten classes have about 22 kids in them. The state limit is 20 but they always seem to get around that somehow.

In an unexpected development, after listening to her gripe about the new dress code this year, Beth has already started wearing her new polo shirts. Her school picked the most boring colors ever - black, grey, burgundy, and khaki tan. In addition, all schools have the option of white and navy. Not a single "girl color" in the bunch. (My school has burgundy, yellow, light blue, and red. I kind of like that selection.) I did a little "eBaying" and found Beth some new polos for decent prices. The Aeropostale color "Black Cherry" is really burgundy. And, I found a lot of two polos, black and grey, that were Arizona brand and dirt cheap. They fit her well and she's worn both already. I overheard her telling BFF that they "looked kinda cute with her jeans shorts." She's such a girl. Reality will strike on Wednesday, however, when those "cute" polo shirts have to be tucked in and she has to wear a belt.

Nothing has been decided about Elvis' school yet. The special ed lady hasn't called me back. I did show incredible restraint today, though, because I sat at a table, directly across from the director of our county's special ed department for about 20 minutes today. I didn't discuss Elvis with her at all. I just have to keep praying that what is best for him is what will work out. In the meantime, I'm nervous!

I had a surprise visit yesterday from a former foster daughter, her husband, and their 3 sons. The oldest child is 3. The middle is almost 2 (and has spina bifida) and the baby is just 3 months. The older two kids have obvious delays. (Too soon to tell about the baby.) It was good to see them but it just made me sad. Despite my best efforts, the cycle continues...

No comments: