Sunday, July 27, 2008

I got a new grill...no thanks to Sears

My current grill was really old. I've had it over 8 years and it's been used a lot. I didn't keep it covered when not in use and I guess that contributed to its demise. Anyway, it was basically dead. I've been waiting until late in the summer, hoping to catch one on a clearance sale. Friends are coming over to grill today and I just couldn't face the idea of trying to cook on the old grill again. Last night, at 8:20, after a lot of internet shopping, I decided on the grill I wanted. It was at Sears and I used the little "check availability" button on their website that assured me it was in stock at out local store. Beth and I took off over there, arriving less than 15 minutes before they closed. We trot back to the grill department and there it was. The employee wrote down the stock number and took off to the back, only to return empty handed. They won't have any more until Wednesday. I told him I'd checked the computer and, according to it, they were supposed to be in stock. He said, "Never trust our computer." Thanks, Sears.

Instead of coming home, we decided to run by Wal-Mart and check out their grills. We walked right into the garden department and there sat a beautiful grill, almost identical to my chosen one at Sears, and it was $1 less. We had a choice of getting one assembled or taking one in the box. I wanted the assembled one but, alas, it wouldn't fit in my van. So we ended up with one in the box. Alli, Boy Wonder, and his cousin put it together and it works! So, we'll be grilling on a new grill today. I'm excited!

All in all, yesterday was a good day. My mom ran some errands with me which helped a lot. She could sit in the van with Elvis on the short ones so I wasn't constantly having to unload/load him and his wheelchair. (That gets old FAST!) We even went out to lunch. She's been trying to take me out for a meal since my birthday (in December). Yesterday was the day. That was nice, too.

Elvis ate his weight in hush puppies at the catfish restaurant and drank most of a huge cup of milk. He's so tiny. I have no idea where he's putting all this food lately. I guess a growth spurt is coming up. That, of course, means his seizure meds will be less efficient and we'll have to tweak them. That's a scary time in my life. You'd think I'd be used to his seizures by now but each and every one of them scares me. It's such a helpless feeling because I can't make them stop. Even when I give the emergency medicine, it can still take about 15 more minutes for it to work.

No comments: