Thursday, July 24, 2008

Relatively painless

Today was my first day back at work since the end of May. The summer has gone fast but I have to admit I'd forgotten there was a 5:30 in the morning, too. I also have to admit that I kept hitting my snooze button until 6:15. That's when I actually needed to be up today and tomorrow. All the Kindergarten teachers in the county are meeting together these two days and, luckily, we are meeting at an elementary school within a mile of my home. (As opposed to my own school which is a 20 mile drive each way.) So, I get a little extra sleep time but I'm still setting my alarm at the time I have to get up to go to my school as Monday will be here long before I'm ready.

Today's boring meetings weren't actually too bad. The presenter for the afternoon session is known for being a little...unpleasant to deal with but she wasn't at her worst today. It was nice to see my fellow teachers and have a little adult conversation during the breaks.

I'm hesitant to share this but it looks like Elvis' school situation may actually not be too bad this year. I've put off enrolling him, dreading all the politics involved in the special ed department of our school system. I'm just assumed he'd go to the school we're zoned for because they had a full-time special ed room, which he will need access to during the school day. Low and behold I was met with the news today that there will NOT be a full-time special ed class at the school he's zoned for. Those kids are being divided among two other county schools. One is a rural elementary school, semi-close to our home with an awesome principal and his teacher would be a woman I've know for 15+ years. I was fine with just that news but it was followed by the fact that the other school some kids were being sent to was.....MY SCHOOL! How incredible would it be if he could just go to school with me? I'm trying not to get my hopes up for that. I'm really okay with the rural school closer to home. That, alone, was a blessing to hear this morning. If he can come with me, it would just be the cherry on top. I've spent years dreading his going to school. I've prayed and prayed that things would work out to his advantage. I never dared dream it would look this good. At this point, I'm praying that the school that is best for him will be the one the team decides to send him to. My second prayer is that it will be a school that fits well within my schedule, too. (Selfish? Yes, but this has really stressed me out.)

Cousin It is spending the night with Beth. We sent to Wal-Mart and then out to eat. They went walking when we got home and came home with a kitten. Just what we didn't need. It's really pretty but I'm at my limit for living things in this house. It's going to have to be an outdoor kitty. My days of litter boxes are o.v.e.r!

So, day 2 tomorrow. I hope it goes as well as today!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got three kittens at the barn, two with the broad tabby stripes.

Tudu said...

My fingers are crossed that he goes to your school!