Monday, August 11, 2008

After literally years of worrying...

Elvis started school today and did GREAT! He didn't cry when I left him and he didn't make an unpleasant sound all day. He loved everything. I'm guessing he was ready to go. Tomorrow is day 2. I'm hoping it goes as well as today.

While Elvis didn't cry this morning, I did. I was fine up until it was time for me to take him to his room. I just lost it. His room is right across the hall from mine. As the principal pointed out, he was a lot closer to me than he ever had been before. I knew all that. It's just that he started school. He's the first (and now obviously will be the only) one I've had from the very beginning. There were a couple of times early on that the doctors told us he wasn't going to live. And, now here he is in school. It was emotional on so many levels.

I had to go back to school tonight for parent orientation. I dread this night every year. I'm not a public speaker. I can talk to small kids all day long but something about talking to groups of parents makes me really nervous. However, I survived. I don't have to worry about this night for a whole year. That feels good. I had 6 kids all day today. Tomorrow, I'll spend my day with 7 boys. It promises to be a fun day - loud and rowdy but fun!

Beth and I have plans tomorrow night. We've discovered a show on the ABC Family channel that we both like. It's called The Secret Life of the American Teenager. I'd heard about it but hadn't really watched it until last week. They did a marathon of all the episodes and Beth and I watched it together and were hooked. A new episode comes on tomorrow night. We are planning a fun dinner and then watching the show together. It seems as she grows up and grows away, there aren't many things we can still do together. I'm glad we discovered this one.

2 comments:

Emma said...

It was so great to finally see pictures of your kids recently! Thanks for sharing. And GO ELVIS for starting school! Woo Hoo!

Mongoose said...

Right on. I'm glad it went well for both of you. :)