Thursday, August 14, 2008

Ready for the weekend

It's been a decent week but long. Once I got past the parent orientation Monday, I'd hoped the week would fly. That was not to be. I feel like it's the longest week ever. The good news (read with sarcasm, please)? Next week will feel much longer!

Elvis continues to L.O.V.E. school! I'm sure he's wondering why we've kept this hidden from him all these years. I really think he's going to be angry when he doesn't get to go on Saturday. He hasn't cried a single time. That's a big deal considering he's over 5 and a half and has never been in a group setting. He hasn't even been with a sitter outside our family since last November. I never imagined he'd do this well just being dropped off in a classroom. I'm sooooo thankful he has, though.

Just to keep our week lively, some fool robbed a bank down the road from our school yesterday. Get this: The robbery happened at 11:00 AM. At 12:30 PM, they decided to lock down our school. Like the dude, who fled the scene in a vehicle was going to be hanging around an elementary school an hour and half later. If he'd been on foot, I could see the reason for the precautions. However, unless he'd run out of gas or had some kind of mechanical failure, he was long gone from our area by the time they even notified us. (They called it a modified lock down and we could still move around inside the building but no one was allowed outside the building...except our school cop who paced laps around the outside of the building pulling on each door to make sure it was locked securely. I jumped every time he yanked on my door. He smiled and waved, amused at my being startled. I guess he had to get his entertainment where he could.)

I pulled off an awesome gymnastics move yesterday afternoon. I hit a small puddle of water in our school hallway and did the splits! I spend my days watching kids fall and hop right back up. That's not the same for adults when they fall. Old, fat adults like me are even worse. You'd think I'm well-padded enough to bounce when I hit the floor. I did not bounce. I'm quite sore today but not as bad as I'd feared at the time. The only good point (besides the fact that I wasn't seriously hurt) was that no one was in the hall to witness the event. I'm sure it's all captured on the tape from the security cameras, though.

I've hobbled around a bit today but I'm fine overall. I am really glad that tomorrow is Friday and that I don't have kids tomorrow. Tomorrow is my day to get everything together and ready for the chaos that will be my Monday. 23 kids vs. 1 adult. Those are not good odds!

No comments: