Friday, August 8, 2008

Week One - DONE!

I've survived the first week of school. That is an accomplishment every year. I've given each child a 30 minute test. I get so darn tired of asking the same questions over and over and over (20 more times). However, I never get tired of their answers! Asking 23 kids (ages 4, 5, and 6) to "Name a fruit that is yellow" is a blast. The most common answer this year? ORANGES! WTH? Every year a kid or two says that but this year's crop gave it more frequently than the last few years combined.

Another fave is to complete this analogy: "A lemon is sour. Candy is ..." The correct answer is sweet, obviously. Evidently my new kiddos don't get the obvious stuff. Answers included: "not good for you," "good," "hard," "not sour," "sour," "yummy," and "like suckers and stuff."

"What do you call a worker who grows food?" The answers ranged from "God," to "that guy that likes to dig in the dirt."

When asked to repeat the sentence, "A tree has green leaves," at least 5 of them said, "That tree gots green leaves."

See why kindergarten is fun?!

My plans for the weekend involve going back to school to finish getting my classroom together. I'm not ready for my small group on Monday. My classroom library is a mess. The books are all in the wrong baskets, a little going away gift from my last class. A church rents our school building on Sundays and my classroom is the 2nd/3rd grade Sunday school classroom. Not my idea and it certainly complicates my teaching. I have no choice in the matter, though, so I just go along with it.

No comments: