Saturday, September 13, 2008

Catalog season has started

About this time every year, my mailbox gets stuffed full of catalogs. I get them from all sorts of companies. They range from Victoria's Secret (go ahead and LOL if you know me in real life) to Disney to some bizarre hunting/fishing equipment store (again, LOL!). Today came one that makes me sad, though. It's the American Girl catalog. I've always been a fan of dolls. I got a doll for Christmas every year until I was way past being too old for them. That was long before the American Girl dolls came into being.

When I was in college, I actually got an American Girl doll. A family I babysat for gave me Samantha. I loved her. I still have her. She' sits on a shelf in my den and has outfits for different seasons. In the summer, she's dressed in a bathing suit from her clothing collection. Now, she's wearing a school dress from the catalog. Before long, she'll change into her Christmas dress.

I passed my love of these dolls onto my early foster daughter. Over the years, I've bought at least two Bitty Babies, a Kaya, a Josephina, and at least 4 of the American Girls Today dolls for various foster daughters. Once, I even bought an Addy and a couple of her outfits for a child on another state's waiting kids website. (She was waiting for a family and said her one wish was for an Addy doll. I emailed her worker and she said I could have the doll shipped to her at her office and she would get it to the child. I can only hope she did and didn't take it home for her own daughter.)

Now, there is no one in my life to share my appreciation of these dolls. In previous years, the arrival of this catalog would have been exciting for me and at least one of my kids. Alli and Beth have never been "doll kids." They couldn't care less. Elvis, obviously, doesn't care. I'll flip through the pages and toss it out with a heavy heart. Another phase in my life is over. I wonder what I'll move on to next?

4 comments:

Mongoose said...

Why not just make a tradition of finding kids who could really use a doll? That sounds like a great way to share your love of dolls with someone who will really enjoy the gift.

Jane said...

I do ALWAYS pick an angel from a tree (either at my school or church) who wants a doll. Well, truth be told, I'm an angel tree addict and pick several angels each year but I always make sure the first one I pick wants some kind of doll.

Mongoose said...

You're so cute. :) Usually you sound like you have such a hard edge, this doll thing shows a really different side of you. To me, anyway. :)

Anonymous said...

Don't be fooled! She's just baiting you in.