Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Elvis is HOT...

and not in a good way. Not that a five-year-old can be hot in a good way. He's sick. Really sick. I don't know that his fever has ever been this high. At 5:30 this morning, WITH Motrin in his system, his temp was 103.3! You could honestly feel the heat radiating off his little body.

He'd been fine last night. We ate out with the extended family for my nephew's 8th birthday. Elvis ate just fine. (He loves Chinese food!) We got home and he seemed a little off, but we dismissed it as being tired. He went to sleep and was woken up by our door alarm beeping as his Aunt Beth went outside to do something. He wouldn't go back to sleep. I thought he felt a little warm but still didn't think much about it. Finally, when he was still awake after an hour, I decided he felt really hot. I checked his temp and it was 101.4. I gave him Motrin and we dozed off and on. I put him in his bed about 11:30. He was back up at 1:30 this morning and was blazing hot again. I gave him more Motrin and he stayed in bed with me, snuggled on my arm. We both dozed off and on but didn't really sleep. When I got up at 5:30, he did, too.

Alli was scheduled to sub today but I knew Elvis needed her more. I called our school secretary and told her Alli couldn't make it. They had to get a sub for the sub - LOL! She was very nice about it. When Alli got up, I told her I'd called her in sick. She went ahead and got dressed and got Elvis dressed. They took Beth and me to our schools and stayed at my school until the doctor's office opened. She managed to get an early appointment with the new pediatrician in the office we use. (Elvis' favorite doctor ~ we call her his doctor girlfriend ~ was booked up all morning.) Alli and Elvis left and headed on into the office.

He was diagnosed with a virus, causing fever, a fever blister, and coughing/congestion. He also had a double ear infection. She said to keep an eye on his breathing, as she's afraid the virus will lead to pneumonia since he already has breathing issues. So, we're doing breathing treatments every 4 hours, Tylenol every 4 hours, Motrin every 6 hours, and the antibiotic for the ears twice a day. He's so pitiful. He's not eating or drinking. I keep forcing liquids in him because I do not want to end up in the hospital with a dehydrated little guy.

We're taking a big leap of faith (and, honestly, desperation) and leaving sick Elvis home with Boy Wonder tomorrow. Alli is scheduled to sub but only for the morning. If all goes according to plan, Elvis and Boy Wonder will sleep and maybe play some video games before Alli gets home about noon. We'll do all required medicines/treatments before we leave and she should be home before the next round is horribly overdue. Wish us (and especially Boy Wonder) luck!


Anonymous said...

If Boy Wonder gets in over his head, please have him text Alli. She can call me. I'll have him picked up in 5 minutes.


Tudu said...

I had no idea my virus would travel through the computer and get poor Elvis. I have had the same darn thing all week and can barely find the strength to sit up. I hope he bounces back quicker than I have.

Juicebox Mom said...

Hope he's better now :-)