Saturday, October 4, 2008

In other news...

Besides the horrible death of the student at my school, the rest of my life is just plugging along. We're officially on fall break now. The kids were off yesterday but teachers had a professional development day. In a startling event, I actually enjoyed some of what we did. We got to spend some time making a web site for our classrooms. I loved it! Mine is already online! I've still got a couple more pages under construction but I'm pleased with what I did. The teacher next door offered to pay me to do hers. I actually told her I'd do it for free because I really, really enjoyed it.

Beth's out of state for a few days. Her boyfriend's sister has been living in FL and is moving back to our state. Boyfriend (who really needs a blog name) and his parents were going to pack her up and move her back. They invited Beth to join them. They left Thursday night and will be home some time tomorrow. I miss her but she's checking in regularly and is having a good time.

Elvis has been sick again. Just like last time, he spiked a fever in the middle of the night. It was 102 degrees at midnight and still 101.4 at 2:00 AM after having had Motrin. Adding Tylenol to the mix helped get it a little lower. Alli took him to the doctor Thursday and she said he had the flu. (Meaning I was wrong, as I just knew his ears were going to still be infected.) So, no extra meds. We've been treating the fever and pushing the liquids. His temp has stayed down today so I guess he's on the mend.

Alli and I nearly came to blows this last week. She and Boy Wonder and still doing NOTHING. We had a big talk, however, about how badly things are going and she's vowed to turn things around. We'll see. Since our talk, they have been doing better about helping out. That helps me a lot. Still, I wouldn't be totally surprised to come home one afternoon and find them gone, having moved out to live with someone who has no expectations for them. Whatever. If you're going to live here, you need to be functioning in the real world. I've got to have my standards, such that they are.

And, me? I'm just rejoicing in the fact that I have two whole weeks off work! I do have some plans. I'm hoping to repaint my room and actually get it sage green instead of booger green this time. (Yes, I just painted it in March but I still really dislike the color.) I'm meeting an oooooold friend for lunch one day. (And I mean really old friend. We stayed with the same sitter as newborns, attended the same preschool and elementary school until she moved across town in 4th grade. I didn't see her again until I walked in science class on my first day of 7th grade and there she was. We were best friends through junior high and most of high school. We drifted apart during our senior year but were still friends. We went to the same college but, again, had different friends. I don't recall having seen her since our second year of college. That would have been around 1988!) We've reconnected online recently and she suggested meeting for lunch half way between our homes. I'm looking forward to that. A volunteer group from church is building a ramp to our front door so we can get Elvis and his wheelchair in and out without a jarring bump each way. My van needs some work so I have to schedule that. And, to finish off the break, Beth and I (accompanied by Elvis, of course) hope to run away to visit a long-ago foster daughter and her family near the beach for a few days, if we can get it scheduled and afford the gas. After all that, I'll probably be ready to go back to school - LOL!

3 comments:

Mongoose said...

I've been trying to get someone, anyone, to name something Spider-Pig. So that's my suggestion for the boyfriend's name.

Jane said...

LOL! Just for you, Mongoose, I'll name Beth's sweet little boyfriend "Spider-Pig! If he ever finds out, though, I'm sending him to you so you can explain.

Mongoose said...

Hey, maybe he'll feel honoured. :)

Thank you for humouring me!