Friday, October 17, 2008

Too much cole slaw

The trip to my grandmother's went very, very well. We were just a little late (about 10-15 minutes ) leaving home but the drive over was fine and actually got to her assisted living place right at noon to have lunch with her. She was sitting at her table waiting for us when we got there. Our plates were already on the table - chicken, mac and cheese, a roll, and...slaw. I hate the smell/taste/idea of slaw. It had touched my chicken, roll, and mac & cheese, so I had to eat around those parts. My plate looked funny when I was done. The whole serving of slaw was there and it was bordered by a line of the other foods. Yes, I know I'm weird.

The assisted living place was rather nice. I'm usually a little skeeved out by nursing homes but this one was very "home-y" and the employees were very sweet with the residents (and visitors). My grandmother was happy to see us but kept saying she didn't feel well. I don't think I'd ever feel well at 92 years old. She loved Elvis and Elvis loved her. She even held him quite a while (and he's not easy to hold). Her room was hot and she was wearing a sweatshirt. I was sweating like a pig. (Side note: My aunt always insists that women don't "sweat" - they "glow." I guess she'd have said I was glowing like a pig. Whatever!) We stayed and visited about 3 hours. My grandmother kept telling Elvis how pretty his eyes are. You could almost see his head getting bigger each time she said it. He's quite conceited. We left at 3:00 because her Bingo game was starting - LOL! Last time, she won a box of Moon Pies. She was hoping for something else this time. I left hoping she won a R.C. Cola . Then she could go here. (More than I ever really wanted to know about Moon Pies and R.C. here.)

We said goodbye with a quick hug and an "I love you." (We had to hurry because the Bingo caller had already started. This disturbed my grandmother a bit.) I couldn't help but wonder if I'd see her again. I am very glad I went! The drive home was rainy but we didn't have any trouble. Elvis slept a little. We got home right near dinner time and my mom offered to buy us dinner. We went to a local catfish place that we all enjoy. Guess what comes with every meal...that's right - SLAW! I ordered my catfish, requesting white beans instead of slaw. Wouldn't you know it - they brought me the beans and the slaw. For the second time in one day, I had to isolate parts of my meal that had been too close to the enemy (slaw).

Today, I slept til almost 10 (a habit I have to quickly break) and then went to school to work on my classroom. Alli had agreed to come help and Beth had planned to watch Elvis while we went. Neither of those happened. I guess neither of them really wanted to do their part so I went alone. It wasn't a bad day. It would have just been more fun with someone else along. I must be about to hit that empty nest phase of life. The girls had rather do their own thing than to hang out with me. Guess that means if I'd rather spend my money on me instead of them, I can do that, too! This empty nest thing might not be so bad.

Tomorrow, I'm going back to school to finish my classroom. (I just never got things organized the way I wanted them when school started. I lived with it the first 9 weeks but I need it to be better.) It's a little aggravating to spend my fall break days there but I will feel so much better when it's done. On Sunday afternoon, I hope to attend the games of the local baseball league for people with special needs. Last year, Deb was with me and played on the league so we went to all the games and practices. This year, Deb lives elsewhere but is still playing. Cori's little sister plays, too. I also have a few other friends and former students playing so I really enjoy the games. Elvis likes to watch, too, so it will be an enjoyable afternoon. Then, Monday comes and it's back to school. I'm ready. I'll miss sleeping in but I'm ready.

No comments: