Saturday, December 20, 2008

I'm with the vampires, of course!

I'm officially one of "those people." You know, the ones who read and a love a little set of kids' books referred to as The Twilight Saga. I've been resisting. People kept telling me I needed to read them. I refused. Hello - I don't read books about vampires. I'm a big chicken. I don't read/see/think about anything scary. So, I politely refused to read them.

Then I found Beth reading a book. At 18 years of age, she read her first book. And it wasn't a little book. It was about 550 pages. And she read the whole thing! All 55oish pages. And I was soooo happy...and shocked. Of course, the book was the first in the saga, Twilight. And if a book was good enough to cause Beth to break her 18-year streak of no voluntary reading, I obviously had to read it. And so I did. And I LOVED it.

I loved it so much that I bought the second in the set. I've had it almost a whole week but haven't touched it. Well, technically I have touched it. I've walked past it and rubbed the cover lovingly. I've resisted the temptation. I just didn't want to read it before I'd had a chance to see the movie of the first book. I know the movie is only about the first book but I didn't want to read ahead and know what happened after the movie ended. I wanted to see the movie and only know how it ends.

Alli and I finally got to see the movie this afternoon. (We wanted to go badly enough that we left Elvis with Boy Wonder while we went. You never know how that will go.) It went fine, though. They kept each other occupied while Alli and I spent two hours in the company of Bella and Edward, along with the rest of his vampire family. And it was two hours well-spent. It wasn't as good as the book. Most movies never are. However, I enjoyed it. And I enjoyed having a little Alli-time.

And now, excuse me for the rest of the evening. I have a date...with Edward the vampire in the second Twilight book, New Moon. It's been waiting for me for almost a week.

2 comments:

Carol said...

DD is getting these books for Christmas. I have toyed with the idea of reading them, but, like you, "I don't read vampire books and I hate scary stuff".

We did, though, take her to see the movie, as a special treat. I wasn't as scared as I thought I'd be. But I still haven't read those books. Although your post is making me second-guess that decision.

Jane said...

Read the books. Seriously...READ THE BOOKS! (If you read dd's book one now, you'll be ready for book 2 after Christmas while she's still reading book 1.)

Really, I haven't encountered anything scary. If you've seen the movie, you know about the dance studio scene. That was as scary as it gets.