Friday, January 16, 2009

We're having a heat wave!

I just checked weather.com and we are up to 21 degrees. At 2:00 PM. Of course, the windchill is still 17 degrees but, compared to last night and this morning, we're pretty toasty.

And what have I done on my bonus day off? Not. One. Thing. Well, I have taken care of Elvis, as his mother hasn't come near him today. About 5 minutes ago, she came out, looked at him, and went back to her part of the house. I'm tired of fighting it. They don't do what he needs anyway. I'm better off just taking care of him myself. It will make me less angry. Maybe. I just keep thinking how in the world can/will they take care of a newborn if they don't take care of Elvis?

In other (less bitchy) news, I'm still basking in the glow from seeing Twilight again last night. I'm going to start reading the first book again later today. Obsessed, you say? Is that a bad thing? I think not. I also have some Netflix movies to watch: Swing Vote, Into the Wild, and The Business of Being Born. I chose Swing Vote because sometimes I like Kevin Costner movies (like this and this and this and this). Of course, sometimes I really, really hate them ( like this and this). So, I may or may not like Swing Vote. I got Into the Wild because the actress who played Bella in Twilight is in it. Good reason to choose a movie, huh? And, I don't remember why I chose The Business of Being Born. I saw part of it on TV in some news-type show and thought I'd like to see the whole thing. We'll see.

I'd planned to have a good lunch today. I was trying to decide between take-out Chinese and McNuggets. (Quite the discriminating palate there, huh?) In the end, I decided it was just too cold to bother with either one. I ended up with leftover ham and party potatoes. Elvis loves ham these days so he was quite happy.

3 comments:

Mongoose said...

This may sound callous but a newborn isn't "permanently" high-needs like Elvis is. A newborn will regular needs grows out of them. I know that a lot of people love their high-needs children as much as regular-needs children, but that's not all of us. Myself for example, I wouldn't have been a good mother to a regular child anyway, but I know if I bore a high-needs child I would not even be taking it home, it's not something I could even imagine adding to my life, and I don't relate well to special-needs people at the best of times. (Even more so than I don't relate well to normal-needs people.) I imagine Alli and Boy Wonder are hoping for a perfectly average child who will walk and talk and not need much more medically than well-baby checkups. Like I said I'm sure it sounds really callous, and maybe it is, but not everybody is cut out to raise special-needs kids.

Jane said...

You don't sound callous at all. I totally get what you are saying. However, the odds of them having a "normal" baby aren't the same odds most people have. There are two other babies that didn't make it between Elvis and the current pregnancy.

When you decide to procreate, you have to be mature enough to accept the child you bear. There are no "healthy baby" guarantees for anybody. When you add Alli's pg difficulties into the equation, you have a much higher chance of having a baby with at least some special needs.

My other, bigger concern, is that it's not just the special-needs part of Elvis they don't deal well with. (That part I totally understand.) My concern is that they can't deal with him even being in the same room when they play video games or watch football. Any little noise he makes seems to anger them, especially BW.

Babies/kids make noise and have needs. You (well, most parents) learn to tune out the noise and meet the child's needs before your own. That does NOT happen in this situation. They do what they want, when they want. They'll drag Elvis along if I insist. They (mostly Alli) will half-ass meet some of his needs when it's convenient for them. He's not their priority. I strongly feel that children should be a parent's priority.

I know that I have to factor in the facts that Elvis is special and he's not BW's biological child. I still say he married Alli knowing Elvis was there. Effective parenting can't wait until a commercial break. Babies cry. Babies emit disgusting fluids and odors and noises. Babies scream...for hours...when nothing is really wrong.

To make my loooong point short (too late - LOL)...Babies are hard under the best circumstances. And these are far from the best of circumstances.

Mongoose said...

Oh, I totally hear you, and definitely I wonder what are the odds of them having a good pregnancy and a healthy child, though I sure hope for the best for them. But that's the thing, "hope springs eternal" as they say and even if you know 100% that you're not gonna be a good parent, it's hard to beat that instinct. In the spring a long-time friend of mine emailed me and said she was pregnant and making an adoption plan and the first thing that came to my mind was "GIVE HER TO ME!!!!!!!" Even though I know very well my circumstances make it impossible and even if I was nice and stable and rich, I'm perfectly incapable of taking care of a child, let alone a newborn. But just because I know very well I can't raise kids, doesn't take away the instinct to want them and hope for the best. And I'm a lot older than Alli. If I was her age and married, I'd probably be doing the same thing.

So, I hear what you're saying and it's not that I don't agree with you that it's a concerning situation, I just find them oddly relatable too. It's hard to give up that dream.