Sunday, January 18, 2009

And the heat wave continues...

I don't know that it ever got above freezing yesterday. The highest I saw was 32 degrees with a windchill still in the mid-20s. However today, it was 40 degrees at 10:00 AM! I'm almost sweating - NOT!

I'm still doing nothing on my break. I went through the McDonald's drive-thru for breakfast yesterday. I'd woken up with a horrible headache and thought something with caffeine might help. (We have nothing with caffeine in the house, except Beth's coffee, and I'm not a coffee person.) It helped so I must have been having withdrawals.

Alli wanted me to watch a movie so I did. She didn't watch it with me but ran in and out to see parts of it with me. Whatever. It was Step Brothers. She's a big Will Ferrell fan and I could see why she liked it. It was funny in parts....and really filthy in other parts. It was kind of like Bad Santa. Do I really want to admit that I watched it? And, do I really want to admit it was funny?

My mom offered to come stay at my house with Elvis for a couple of hours yesterday to let me get out and do something but I didn't have anything I wanted to do - LOL! It was nice of her to offer. She took my van to Walmart Monday, thinking I needed new tires and she was going to do that for my birthday and Christmas present. However, the guy thought if he rotated my tires (moving the back ones to the front) I could get another 10,000 miles with my current tires. Sounded good to me. They did the rotation and changed my oil while she was there. Her time was a wonderful gift! I budget for those expenses but often lack the block of time to get them done.

She also took Elvis to the dentist Monday. It was his 6-month check-up and Alli had planned to take him. However, my school had several teachers out Monday for various reasons and subs were in short supply. If either Alli or I had taken him, they would have needed a sub they didn't have. So my mom did the driving and we recruited a homeschooling friend's 15 year old son (who loves Elvis and who Elvis loves) to do the lifting and carrying. From what I've heard, that worked out fine. Elvis was very excited to have his MiMother and his friend with him at the same time.

I've got to get out of the house today. We are deficient in groceries. I'm leaving Elvis here and going alone. I either have to go to 2 stores (if I am willing to fight Walmart) or 3 stores (none of which are Walmart) to get what we need. I do the bulk of my shopping at Aldi. Their prices have gone up just like everyone else but they are still the cheapest around. After that, I need to either go to Walmart and get everything Aldi didn't have or I need to go to Dollar General for the other household stuff and Food Lion for the other grocery stuff. Traveling by myself, this isn't a problem. Trying to haul Elvis and his wheelchair (plus purchases) in and out at 3 different stores by myself is a huge problem.

One more day off. I love long weekends. They are even better when the weather makes them extra long!

No comments: