Saturday, February 28, 2009

Stomach virus! ACK!

For the first time in his whole life, Elvis has a stomach virus. I guess, in retrospect, it's a miracle that we haven't had one before. He's thrown up before. He had a full year of hellish reflux as a baby. He projectile vomited many, many times a day during that year. This, however, is his first time to actually be sick with vomiting. And let me tell you - it wasn't pretty.

The first instance occurred on his Aunt Beth's bed. No one actually saw it happen, but I can only imagine it resembled a volcanic eruption, only with chocolate milk instead of molten rock. This event necessitated another bath and some heavy-duty laundry. There was lots of conversation about whether he was sick or had just gagged himself, chewing on his fingers (cutting six-year molars, but that's another story). Alli witnessed the second eruption while I was stripping Beth's bed. There was no finger-chewing involved so we decided he was actually sick.

I vividly remember each subsequent eruption - 11:30 pm, midnight, 1:10 AM, and 2:05 AM. The logistics of throwing up seemed impossible for him. He can't sit up alone. It was the middle of the night so we were, obviously, in bed. He was in my bed. I'd do my best to get him into a sitting position, as I can only imagine that throwing up while lying on your back as to be extra-gross, along with making him quite likely to aspirate the nastiness. However, it pretty much takes both hands to hold him in a sitting position. That leaves no hand to attempt to corral the offensive substance spewing from him.

Thankfully, the vomiting stopped. (Guess he's run out of ammo.) However, there was still no sleep for us. He wanted to be held. He was hot. He was cold. He was lonely if I dared close my eyes. We did doze some but never more than 30 minutes at a shot. My left arm and the right side of my neck are sore from holding him all night.

We did, at least, make it through the night. He's had a little tea this morning and, since that stayed down, he's had a cup of yogurt. (Sounds gross, I know. But that's his comfort food. Praying it stays down because I really don't want to be showered with regurgitated Trix yogurt. That stuff smells foul going down.) I've got to get his seizure meds in him and they have to stay in him. Last night's dose did not. If today's dose meets a similar fate, he's guaranteed to have a seizure and I just don't think I can deal with that today on no sleep.

No comments: