Thursday, February 19, 2009

What a day!

A first in my teaching career - One of my students (remember I teach kindergarten) was suspended today. I've never had this happen. This little guy is a significant behavior problem. His home life is erratic, at best. He's said to me on more than one occasion, "I like Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday the best because I get to come to school. I have to stay home on Saturday and Sunday. I want to come to school every day."

Sadly, he crossed a big line several times today and the result is a 3-day suspension. With the weekend thrown in, he'll be home for 5 days. He cried. I cried.

Do I think the others in the class deserve to come to school without being injured by another child? Absolutely. Do I think the suspension will stop the behaviors? I doubt it. Another tough situation where there are no black and white answers.

Hang in there, little guy. I'll see you Wednesday...and I'll miss you every day until then.

No comments: